Secrets Are Usually Better Left As Secrets

Movie: The Avengers

"And you'll get your cube back, no muss, no fuss... what's phase 2?" Tony asks eyeing Fury who goes to answer but is interrupted by {Y/N} who drops the assault rifle onto the table, Tony, Fury, and Bruce all turn to see her and Steve stand there with their eyes narrowed, arms crossed and looking pissed.

"Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons" she looks at Fury then at Tony and smiles a little "sorry, the computer was moving a little slow, had to do it the old-fashioned way" Tony nods and smiles before turning to Fury.

"Miss Barnes, we gathered everything to the Tesseract. This doesn't mean that we're-" Fury begins but is cut off by Tony.

"I'm sorry, Nick" Tony moves the computer screen he was behind around to show plans of HYDRA weapons, {Y/N} looks up at Steve who looks like he's about to rip off someone's head.

"Steve?" she asks quietly, he looks down at her just as Thor and Natasha walk in. He shakes his head before pushing her behind him as Natasha and Bruce start talking, {Y/N} soon finds herself on the ground with her head in her hand "no" she whispers.

"Like you controlled the cube" Steve's voice was muffled as she moves towards the wall sliding to the floor, she starts whispering incoherent words she looks towards Loki's staff to see the blue gem -which held the Mind Stone- starts glowing, going unnoticed by everyone else.

"Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" Tony says putting his arm around Steve, {Y/N} looks at them and back to the staff in which the gem was glowing brighter than before, trying to get up but falls back down, Steve pushes Tony's arm off of him.

"You damn well know why! Now back off" {Y/N} squirms placing her hands on her head.

"The voices, the screams, the faces" Steve looks over at {Y/N} to see her looking at him fear etched on her face, he goes to go to her but Tony steps in front of him.

"Move!" Steve growls, Tony crosses his arms.

"Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me," Tony says, {Y/N} slowly gets up, Tony smirks, this makes Steve snap.

"Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?!" Steve asks.

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist," Tony says, {Y/N}'s metal hand twitches as she shakes her head. She looks towards Steve and Tony who look like they're about ready to kill one another "

"Put on the suit, let's go a few rounds!" Steve says getting up in Tony's face now putting his full attention on him. {Y/N} looks around to see the other's mouths moving but nothing coming out of them, just as her hearing comes back an obnoxious beeping fills the room and suddenly everything and everyone is thrown across the room as an explosion goes off, that is except for {Y/N} and Bruce who are down in the lower equipment room, {Y/N} groans and looks up to see Bruce kneeling on the floor gripping the grated floor and breathing heavily, he turns to look at her and his eyes flash green and his face intense.

"Bruce..." she says quietly "you can control this, I may not know you very well... but please, you don't want this to happen..." he groans and his body starts to shift slowly "oh, no" she pushes the piece of rubble off of her and stands looking around.

"You're not scared?" Bruce asks struggling to look up at her.

"Bruce, I've met men who are monsters inside and out, you are not one of those" she replies, her eyes landing on a set of stairs, suddenly Bruce shifts into the Hulk "oh, come on, Bruce" she whispers running towards the stairs, she sprints up them and across the catwalk with Hulk chasing after her, she continues to run through mazes of pipes and whatnot before quickly slipping down onto another catwalk below and sprinting before Hulk comes from behind her, as she reaches a long corridor she slips falling to the ground, she looks over her shoulder to see Hulk running towards her she goes to move but he picks her up by the neck "B-Bruce p-p-please, th-this is- isn't -y-you" she manages to say, he reels his arm back and throws her into the wall. She crashes into the aircraft port landing with a loud 'thump' she groans and starts moving forward across the floor slowly, some agents that were in the aircraft port run and others try to help {Y/N} but quickly scatter out of the room. She finds a box and pulls herself up to see Hulk right in front of her, he swings his arm back and flings her into another wall she hits it and slides down landing on her back, a small trickle of blood coming from her mouth, everything seems to grow silent when suddenly she's picked up by Hulk again, she looks up weakly to see Thor across the room yelling something, Hulk looks at Thor then at {Y/N} and throws her into Thor, the last thing she sees in Thor's mouth moving but no sound coming out.

*Time skip*

{Y/N} sits in the briefing room, tapping her metal fingers on the glass table.

"{Y/N}" she jumps at the sound of her name and looks up to see Steve looking down at her.

"Hey" she replies quietly, smiling he sits down next to her.

"How are you feeling?"

"Sore" she chuckles weakly, that's when Fury and Tony walk in.

"How are you feeling Barnes?" Fury asks.

"Good" Tony pats her head and sits down next to her.

"Good to hear," Fury says pulling something out of his pocket and throws it onto the table, {Y/N} leans forward taking what seemed to be a card into her hand.

"Oh..." she says realising that it was Coulson's Captain America trading cards, the corners smeared with blood, she frowns turning it in her hand, Steve picks up another.

"Those were in Coulson's jacket... guess he never got you two to sign them," Fury says shaking his head "anyway, you three, Romanoff and Barton have a mission in three days, that mission being to take Loki down" with that he walks over to Agent Hill.

"Well... I've got to go do... something, see you two later" Tony says standing up and leaving the two super soldiers.

"I'm sorry" Steve blurts, {Y/N} raises an eyebrow.

"What for?"

"That you got hurt."

"It's not your fault, Steve," she says "so, there's no need to be sorry for something you didn't have control over."

"I know. It's just, now since he isn't here, I'm the one to look after you" she chuckles.

"I should be the one saying sorry," she says.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you have no idea what I've been through, I've killed so many," she says.

"That wasn't you."

"But it was" she whispers, Steve taking her by surprise, leans forward kissing her.

"I forgive you" he mutters.

---

~Bread 🍞