I Can Save You

Movie: Captain America: The First Avenger

Steve and {Y/N} move down the halls the only sound is the soft padding of their shoes and their shallow breaths, that's when Steve suddenly pushes {Y/N} against the wall his face only inches away from hers she goes to speak but hears someone running down the hall their breathing unsteady and their footsteps pounding along the concrete, a few seconds later the footsteps fade and are replaced by a strangled voice.

"Sergeant. 32557..." {Y/N} squints and pushes past Steve and into the room across from them, once inside she sees someone with their head down, their brown locks tangled and dirty, she quickly moves over and kneels down in front of them "Sergeant. 32557..." she lifts their head up her eyes go wide as she notices it's James.

"James? Oh, my gosh, what have they done to you?" she carefully unstraps his arms and helps him stand, he opens his eyes which are bloodshot and squints in confusion.

"Is that..."

"It's me. It's {Y/N}."

"Short Stack?"

"Come on" she slings his arm around her shoulders and they both walk out Steve stands a few feet in front of them a small smile on his lips.

"Steve?"

"I thought you were dead" Steve replies as they all walk down the hall.

"I thought you two were smaller?" James says referring to their significant change of appearances "what happened to you two?"

"We joined the Army," Steve says.

"Did it hurt?" James asks looking up at {Y/N}.

"A little."

"Is it permanent? Cause at this rate I'm the Short Stack" James says making {Y/N} laugh quietly.

"So far" that's when the building around them starts to explode "ok, I think it's time to run" {Y/N} says dragging James along as she starts to move faster with Steve at her side. A few jumps and nearly getting hit by flying debris later they all find themselves standing in front of Johann Schmidt and Dr Arnim Zola.

"Captain America and his little girlfriend! How exciting! I'm a great fan of your films" Schmidt moves towards them and stops his eyes trailing over {Y/N}'s face "so Dr. Erskine managed it after all. Not exactly an improvement, but still impressive" Steve moves forwards and punches Schmidt in the face.

"You've got no idea" Steve replies.

"Haven't I?" He goes to punch Steve but {Y/N} steps in front of Steve blocking Schmidt's punch with her shield, as the three fight Zola pulls a leaver and the catwalk their standing on retracts easily separating them, {Y/N} falls to the catwalk and Steve places his hand on her shoulder as he kneels down beside her "No matter what lies Erskine told you two, you see I was his greatest success!" Schmidt starts peeling the skin off his face to reveal the red skull that resided underneath.

"You two don't have one of those, do you?" James asks referring to Schmidt's red face.

"You're both deluded. You pretend to be simple soldiers, but in reality, your just afraid to admit we have left humanity behind. Unlike you two, I embrace it proudly. Without fear!" Schmidt laughs and continues to make his escape with Dr Zola behind him.

"Then how come you're running?" Schmidt's laugh continues to echo throughout the room after he's long gone, Steve shakes his head and helps {Y/N} to her feet, he looks around trying to find an easier way out as the fire beneath the catwalk grows higher "Ok, we're gonna have to jump" both {Y/N} and James look at him "let's go. One at a time" James nods and jumps to the other side followed by {Y/N} they both turn back to Steve.

"There's gotta be a rope or something!" James says looking around.

"Just go! Get out of here! Both of you!" {Y/N} shakes her head.

"I'm not losing you, Steve! You mean too much to me!" Steve shakes his head looking down, {Y/N} bites her lip and sighs "for god's sake, Steve! I love you!" she shouts, Steve looks up at her "please" she begs, tears forming in her eyes, Steve gulps and runs forward landing in front of {Y/N} stumbling a bit.

"I love you too" he whispers, kissing her forehead, she wraps her arms around his torso and leans her head on his chest.

"Ok, lovebirds, I love you together and stuff, but if you didn't realise we're still in a burning factory," James says from behind them, Steve pulls away, grabs her hand and pulls her as well as James out of the building.

*Time Skip*

{Y/N} walks in between Steve and James as them and the freed soldiers make their way back to camp, a few hours later they make it back to only be greeted by cheering and clapping.

"Look they're back!" soldiers start running up to them and shaking hands as well as hugging.

"Oh, ok" {Y/N} says giggling as one of the soldiers hug her, that's when Phillips walks up to Steve and {Y/N}, they both salute him.

"Some of these men need medical attention" a soldier that was close by shouts to the medic.

"We got wounded!"

"Right over here!"

"We'd like to surrender ourselves for disciplinary action," Steve says, Philips shakes his head.

"That won't be necessary" he replies.

"Yes, Sir" Philips walks away and Agent Carter walks up to them.

"You two are late," she says, Steve grabs the broken transponder out of {Y/N}'s pocket and holds it up.

"Couldn't call our ride" {Y/N} says, that's when James walks up to them and slings his arms over their shoulders.

"Hey! Let's hear it for Captain America and Miss America!" the soldiers start cheering again.

"Really?" {Y/N} asks looking at her brother "Miss America?" he gives her a lopsided grin.

"You know, it's not that bad" Steve whispers slinging his arm around her waist, she looks up at him a smile on her face.

"I guess I could get used to it" she whispers back, a small tint of pink covering her cheeks.

*Time Skip*

"The fifth one was here in Poland, right near the Baltic" {Y/N} says pointing to it on the map "and the sixth one was about..." her eyes scan the map "here, 30,40 miles west of the Maginot Line" a soldier nods and take the map away "I just got a quick look."

"Well, nobody's perfect," Agent Carter says leading her over to where Steve and Phillips are.

"These are the weapon factories we know about. Sergeant Barnes said that HYDRA shipped all the parts to another facility that isn't on the map" Steve says, Phillips nods and looks towards Agent Carter.

"Agent Carter, coordinate with MI6. I want every allied eyeball looking for that main HYDRA base."

"What about us?" she asks.

"We're gonna set a fire under Johann Schmidt's ass. What do you two say? It's your map, you think you can wipe HYDRA off of it?" Phillips asks looking at {Y/N} and Steve.

"Yes, Sir. We'll need a team" {Y/N} says with her hands behind her back.

"We're already putting together the best men."

"With all due respect, Sir. So are we" Steve says.

---

~Bread 🍞