Beginning Again

*A Few Months Later*

{Y/N} sits on the windowsill of her and Steve's shared apartment her knees pulled up close to her, it was dark outside the only lights being that of street lights and lights from buildings close by the clock on the wall read 5:20 am, she looks at her metal arm, that's when she hears someone walking towards her.

"Go back to bed, Steve" she mutters not looking at him, he walks over to her and sits down on the other side of the windowsill.

"Are you ok?" he asks, she doesn't answer him, so he takes her metal hand tracing his fingers over her palm.

"It was a nightmare," she says, he looks up at her, she goes on to tell him about it, but hesitates "I just miss him, Steve."

"I know, I do as well" he leans down a picks something up handing it over to her "it's my journal, it has everything you need to know" she opens it and looks through it.

"Are you sure?" he nods.

"Of course," she looks at the various things scribbled on the page.

"Looks like you've done a lot" he laughs.

"Yeah, I'm going for a run. Wanna come?"

*Time skip*

"On your left!" Steve says running past the man, {Y/N} runs slowly behind the man "on your left!" the man watches Steve run off.

"Uh-huh, on my left. Got it!" the man shouts Steve comes back a third time a small smirk on his lips "don't say it! Don't you say it!!"

"On your left" Steve runs off laughing.

"Come on!" the man shouts stopping at a tree to catch his breath.

"Need a medic?" {Y/N} asks walking over.

"I need a new set of lungs. Dude just ran thirteen miles in thirty minutes" the man laughs, {Y/N} helps him stand.

"I guess I got a late start" the two turn to see Steve walking towards them.

"Oh really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap" {Y/N} looks away "did he just take it? I assume you just took it."

"What unit you with?" {Y/N} asks noticing the man's jumper.

"Fifty-eighth, Pararescue, but now I work down at the VA. Sam Wilson" {Y/N} shakes his hand.

"{Y/N} Barnes this is Steve Rogers" Sam nods.

"Must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing."

"Wh- Oh, yeah definitely. It' all different now so it'll take some time getting used to" she replies, holding her metal arm in front of her, the two males talk for a bit and Steve writes something down into a small notebook, she feels her phone buzz in her pocket and she pulls it out to see a text from Natasha 'Mission alert. Extraction imminent. Meet at the curb :)' she smiles to herself before calling out "Steve!" she waves the phone side to side "we gotta go!" Sam and Steve continue to talk as Natasha pulls up, {Y/N} gets in the car.

"You did tell him, right?"

"Yeah, I did" Nat rolls down the passenger side window and leans forward.

"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil" Nat says, her and {Y/N} laugh as Steve walks over.

"Oh, haha. It's hilarious" Steve mutters getting in the back.

"How you doing?" Sam asks looking at Natasha.

"Hey" she replies.

"You can't run everywhere," Steve says.

"No, you can't" Sam replies watching them drive away.

*Time skip*

{Y/N} stands next to Steve with her head down only hearing bits and pieces of Rumlow's speech, the things she did catch were the words were something about pirate's and hostages?

"You know. I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's Janitor" Steve mutters.

"Relax," Natasha says from beside {Y/N} "it's not that complicated."

"How many pirates?" {Y/N} asks hoping that the question didn't sound as stupid as it did in her head.

"So, you have been listing!" Rumlow says "told you" he looks over his shoulder to the guy behind him, a small sound of disapproval comes from the guy followed by him mumbling something about twenty bucks.

"Can you just answer the question please" {Y/N} says.

"Yes, of course. Twenty-five, top mercs led by this guy. George Batroc" a photo of him pops up on the screen "he's at the top of Interpol's 'red notice' before the French demobilised him, he had thirty-six kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties" Rumlow says.

"How many hostages?" Steve asks.

"Oh, uh... mostly techs" Rumlow starts scrolling through various camera feeds "one officer, Jasper Sitwell" a photo of Sitwell pops up as well as the gallery feed, {Y/N} looks at them both for a moment before Steve calls to her.

"Alright, guys let's go! {Y/N} you're with me!" Rumlow quickly gets his team together, as Steve and {Y/N} strap their shields to their backs.

"Secure channel seven," Steve says looking at Natasha.

"Seven secure" Nat replies "you two doing anything fun Saturday night?" she asks, Steve groans.

"Really? Now's not the time for this" Steve replies.

"I was just asking," Nat says, Steve grabs {Y/N}'s hand and jumps out of the jet, the two land in the water.

*Time skip*

"Really Steve? You could've given me some sort of warning first" {Y/N} says as they both jump up onto the boat, soaking wet.

"Uh, well I'd love to tell you why I didn't but we've got compony" he points to the group of pirates in front of them, they both start taking them out.

"Don't move!" {A/N: I know that this is said in French but let's just pretend it's said in English XD} {Y/N} and Steve turn to see a pirate standing there with a gun pointed towards them both, he suddenly falls to the ground with Rumlow standing behind him, Nat and the rest of the agents parachute down landing on the boat.

"You two could go to a nice restaurant," Nat says.

"Secure the engine room first, then find us a date spot" Steve replies, Nat heads off to the engine room before shouting over her shoulder.

"I'm multitasking!" Steve shakes his head as he and {Y/N} continue forward.

---

~Bread 🍞