Dr. Arnim Zola

Movie: The Winter Soldier

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Natasha asks, looking at Steve who was currently driving.

"Nazi Germany" he replies.

"Mhm," Nat hums looking out the window.

"And we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash" Natasha does as told, and looks back at {Y/N}.

"Alright, I have a question for you, of which you don't have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, your kind of answering it, you know?" {Y/N} furrows her eyebrows.

"What?"

"Was that your first kiss since being back?"

"Like... with Steve?" Natasha nods "no..." a small blush covers her cheeks, Natasha chuckles.

"I think that's a lie. But I won't pry" Natasha says turning back around.

*Time skip*

"So, the file came from these coordinates," Natasha says looking at the abandoned military base in front of them, {Y/N} lets out a deep breath.

"So, did we," she says, pointing at Steve and herself as they walk in. As the sun sets a couple hours later their all still walking around trying to find where the signal came from "this camp is where we trained" {Y/N} whispers as she walks beside Natasha.

"Changed much?" Nat asks looking at the device in her hands.

"A little" {Y/N} looks at Steve who stands a couple of feet away looking off into the distance, {Y/N} looks around.

"This is a dead end. Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off" Nat says looking up to see {Y/N} staring a building "what is it?" {Y/N}, Steve and Nat walk over to it.

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards from the barracks," Steve says.

"The building is in the wrong place" {Y/N} says breaking the lock with her shield and walking inside, Steve turns on the lights to reveal that it's a SHIELD office.

"This is SHIELD," Nat says, {Y/N} walks into a room where there are old photographs of Howard Stark, Peggy Carter and Col. Chester Philips.

"Maybe where it started" {Y/N} says running her fingers over the photo of Peggy, as she brings her hand back a layer of dust sits on her fingertips.

"There's Stark's father," Nat says.

"Howard," Steve says.

"Who's the girl?" Steve shakes his head and walks off.

"That's Peggy Carter" {Y/N} says quietly, Natasha looks to {Y/N} who was looking at where Steve had walked off to "I'd better go check on him" she walks off and Natasha trails behind.

"If you're already working in a secret office..." Steve trails off as Nat and {Y/N} both walk into the room, Steve was looking at a bookcase, he pushes it and it slides open to reveal an elevator.

"Why do you need to hide the elevator?" {Y/N} says finishing Steve's sentence, he nods.

"Exactly" they all go into the elevator and go down. When it opens it reveals a room with old looking computers.

"This can't be the data point. This technology is ancient" Nat says, she spots a small flash drive port at the computer in the very middle of the room. She puts the flash drive in which then activates the ancient looking computer.

"Initiate System?" pops up on the screen, Natasha shrugs and starts typing.

"Y-E-S, spells yes" Natasha smiles as the computer starts up "Shall we play a game?" she looks back at {Y/N} and Steve "it's a move that..."

"Yeah, I saw it" Steve replies.

"I haven't seen it" {Y/N} murmurs.

"Oh, you have to see it, its-"

"Rogers, Steven. Born, 1918. Barnes, {Y/N}. Born, 1919 Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born, 1984" they see an old camera moving above them as it analyses them.

"It's some kind of a recording," Nat says.

"I am not a recording, Fräulein. I may not be the man I was when the Captain and Barnes took me prisoner in 1945, but I am" the computer screen shows an old photo of Dr. Arnim Zola.

"Do you two know this thing?" Nar asks.

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull. He's been dead for years through" {Y/N} replies.

"First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive. In 1972 I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body, my mind, however, that was worth saving on two hundred thousand feet of data banks. You are standing in my brain."

"How'd you get here?" Steve asks.

"Invited."

"It was Operation Paperclip after World War Two. SHIELD recruited German scientists with strategic values" Natasha explains.

"They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own."

"HYDRA died with the Red Skull," Steve says.

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place."

"Prove it."

"Accessing archive" the computer screen shows them old footage of Johann Schmidt a.k.a the Red Skull "HYDRA was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realise, was that if you try to take the freedom, they resist. The war taught us much. Humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly. After the war, SHEILD was founded and I was recruited. The new HYDRA grew. A beautiful parasite inside SHEILD. For seventy years HYDRA has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war. And when history did not cooperate, history was changed."

"That's impossible, SHEILD would've stopped you," Nat says.

"Accidents will happen" the computer screen then shows them that HYDRA had killed Howard and Maria Stark making it look like a car accident along with the recent death of Fury "HYDRA created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once the purification process is complete, HYDRA's new world order will arise. We won, Captains. Your deaths amount to the same as your lives; a zero-sum" in anger and frustration Steve smashes the computer screen "as I was saying... what's on this drive? Project Insight. So, I wrote an algorithm."

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" {Y/N} asks.

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it" suddenly the doors start to close, Steve quickly throws his shield trying to stop them from closing but it bounces off the closed doors and comes back to Steve "admit it, it's better this way. Were all of us... out of time?"

"Quickly, in here" {Y/N} says throwing open a metal grate on the floor. Natasha quickly gets in followed by Steve then {Y/N}, the two hold their shield's above them and Natasha as the building explodes. After the explosion, {Y/N} jumps out grabbing Nat and then pulling Steve out "come on" she helps Natasha as they all run off.

---

~Bread 🍞