Smithsonian Museum

"The Smithsonian Museum?" {Y/N} asks as her and Steve stand out the front, he nods handing her a cap, she looks at it.

"Don't want anyone knowing who we are" she puts it on and they both walk into the Museum.

"Wow" {Y/N} says looking around, Steve slips his hand into her gloved one and pulls her towards the exhibition dedicated to the both of them.

"Symbols of the nation. Heroes to the world. The story of Captain America and Miss America is one of honour, bravery and sacrifice. Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers along with {Y/N} Barnes who was the first women ever to be enlisted into the army to fight on the front line, were both chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. The world's finest super soldiers" letting go of Steve's hand {Y/N} walks over to another part of the exhibit.

"In this rare footage, everyone's favourite warriors, Captain America and Miss America..." {Y/N} spots a display of mannequins which are dressed in both Steve's and her's old commando squad outfits.

"Battle-tested, Captain America and Miss America, as well as their Howling commandos, quickly earned their strips. Their mission, taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division" {Y/N} shakes her head and walks over to the display close by.

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes, {Y/N} Barnes and Steven Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Both Bucky and {Y/N} are the only two to give their lives in service of their country" Steve walks over placing his hand on her shoulder.

"I-I-I-" Steve shakes his head hugging her as she cries into his shirt.

"It's ok."

*Time skip*

"That was a difficult winter" the two super soldiers sit on a bench looking at a screen where an older looking Peggy Carter is being interviewed "a blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line... Captain Rogers and Captain Barnes, fought their way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned all our allies down for months. They both saved over a thousand men, including the man who would... who would become my husband as it turned out. Even after they died, they were still changing my life" Steve looks down at the old compass in his hands and opens it to revels and old photo of Peggy, {Y/N} smiles and leans her head on his shoulder.

*Time skip*

"You should be proud of yourself, Peggy" {Y/N} says holding Peggy's frail hand in her's.

"Mhm, I have lived a life. My only regret is that you two didn't get to live yours. Steve? What is it?"

"For as long as I can remember I just wanted to do what was right. I guess I'm not quite sure what that is anymore. And I thought I could go back in and follow orders, serve, it's just not the same" Steve says.

"You're always so dramatic, Steve" Peggy chuckles "look, you saved the world. We rather... mucked it up."

"You didn't. Knowing that you helped SHIELD is half the reason I stay."

"The world has changed and none of us can go back. All we can do is our best, and sometimes the best that we can do is to start over" Peggy starts coughing, {Y/N} grabs the glass of water and goes to hand it to her.

"Peggy?" {Y/N} mumbles, Peggy looks up at the two, surprise written over her face.

"Steve? {Y/N}?"

"Yeah" Steve replies.

"Your both alive! You both... you both came back."

"Yeah, Peggy" Peggy starts crying.

"It's been so long. So, long."

"Well, we couldn't leave our best girl. Not when she owes me a dance" Steve says, {Y/N} smiles ever so slightly.

*Time skip*

"The thing is I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week, he thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED" {Y/N} stands just outside the room, inside Sam Wilson is counselling other veterans.

"Some stuff you leave there, other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase or in a little man-purse? It's up to you" a few minutes after the meeting {Y/N} is standing a few feet away as Sam finishes saying goodbye to the group.

"I'll see you next week."

"Yeah."

Yeah" Sam walks over to {Y/N} with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"Look who it is! The running man's girlfriend" {Y/N} chuckles.

"Nice to see you as well, Sam" {Y/N} replies.

"Where's Steve?" Sam asks as they start walking down the empty corridor.

"Not sure. I need to go for a walk, clear my head. Also, I caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense in there."

"Yeah, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret."

"You lose someone?"

"My wingman, Riley. Fly in the night mission. A stranded PJ rescue op, nothing we hadn't done a thousand times before, till an RPG knocked Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry."

"After that, I had a really hard time finding a reason to be over there, you know."

"But your happy bow, being back in the world?"

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So, hell, yeah. You thinking about getting out?"

"No. I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I did."

"Ultimate fighting?"

"No way!" the two laugh.

"Well, it's just a great idea off the top of my head. But seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?"

"I don't know."

"How bout' you, did you lose anyone?" {Y/N} stops and looks at him.

"Um, yeah. Yeah, I did."

"If I may... can I ask who?"

"My brother, James Buchanan Barnes."

"I'm sorry."

"Thanks. Well, I better get going, see you late, Sam" with that {Y/N} runs off leaving Sam behind.

---

~Bread 🍞