What We Lost

Movie: Avengers: Endgame

Everyone arrives back standing on the platform.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asks.

"You telling me this'll actually work?" Rhodey asks, {Y/N} looks at Clint who's knelt on the platform.

"Clint?" she asks softly walking towards him "where's Nat?" he looks up at her and doesn't say anything, he has tears in his eyes. Everyone is silent as Bruce falls to his knees and pounds the floor in grief.

*Time skip*

Tony, Steve, {Y/N}, Thor, Clint, and Bruce are all standing/sitting by the lakeside.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asks.

"Yeah. Us" Steve replies.

"What?" Thor asks confused.

"Huh?" Tony asks.

"What are you doing?"

"I just asked him a question..."

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together" Thor growls.

"We can't get her back," Clint says.

"Wha- what?"

"It can't be undone. It can't" Thor laughs dryly.

"'m sorry. No offence, but you're a very earthly being. Ok? We're talking about space magic. And "can't" seems very definitive don't you think?"

"Look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?"

"Now that's my point..."

"It can't... be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say" Clint raises his voice "maybe you wanna go talk to him? Ok? Go grab your hammer, and you go fly and you talk to him!"

"Clint" {Y/N} whispers placing her hand on his shoulder, his anger is quickly replaced with grief as he turns to her.

"It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that goddamned stone. She bet her life on it" in a burst of anger, Bruce grabs a bench and hurls it clear across the lake. His anger spent, he turns to the others with a resigned look on his face.

"She's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to" he says.

"We will" {Y/N} says wiping a stray tear from her face.

*Time skip*

"All right. The glove's ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?" Rocket asks.

"I'll do it," Thor says.

"Excuse me?" Tony asks.

"It's ok."

"No, no, no, whoa. Stop. Stop. Wait a sec. Hey, hey..." Steve, Tony, Scott and {Y/N} stop Thor from going any further.

"Wait, wait, Thor, just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet" Steve says.

"I'm sorry. What, we're just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?"

"We should at least discuss it," Scott says.

"No, no, sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, ok? So, this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty" Thor says.

"It's not about that..." Tony says.

"It's not that... Stop it! Just let me!" Thor tears up "Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

"Look...It's not just the fact that that glove is channelling enough energy to light up a continent, I'm telling you, you're in no condition" Tony says.

"What do you... What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asks.

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey asks.

"Lightning" Thor replies.

"Yeah."

"Lightning won't help you, pal. It's gotta be me" Bruce says, Thor lets go of Tony "you saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"How do we know you will?" {Y/N} asks.

"We don't. But the radiation's mostly gamma" he takes a good look at the gauntlet "It's like...uh...I was made for this."

"Good to go, yeah?" Tony asks.

"Let's do it."

"You remember... everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago and just bringing them back to now, today. Don't change anything from the last five years."

"Got it" everyone gets ready and suits up.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., do me a favour and activate Barn Door Protocol. Will you?"

"Yes, boss" the facility goes on lockdown.

"Everybody comes home" Bruce puts on the gauntlet, which expands to fit his hand, and the power surge overwhelms him. He grunts in pain.

"Take it off! Take it off!" Thor shouts.

"No, wait. Bruce, are you ok?" Steve asks.

"Talk to me, Banner," Tony says.

"I'm ok. I'm ok" Thor gives a double thumbs-up, Bruce screams, fighting through the intense pain coursing through his body courtesy of the gauntlet, and manages to snap his fingers. He faints and the gauntlet slides off his arm, Clint kicks it away.

"Bruce!" {Y/N} shouts running over to him.

"Don't move him" Tony says, Bruce hold onto her arm.

"Did it work?"

"We're not sure. It's ok" Thor says, Scott walks towards the outside windows and sees plants and birds. Clint hears his phone ringing and sees it's his wife calling, he picks it up and struggles to speak

"Honey. Honey."

"Guys... I think it worked!" Scott says Bruce opens his eyes and a single missile is heading towards the base blowing Scott away. Then a continuous array of missiles destroys the base completely and everyone sinks below to the underground. Bruce is holding up tons of debris from collapsing on top of the others. Some debris is stuck on top of Rocket.

"I can't breathe. I can't breathe! I can't breathe."

"Canopy. Canopy. Canopy" Rhodey gets out of his damaged suit.

"Rhodey, Rocket, get outta here!" Bruce says, Rhodey crawls over to help Rocket while taking a metal bar as leverage to lift the debris off Rocket.

"Hurry up! Hurry up! Come on!" Rhodey gets Rocket out and they both sigh in relief.

"Rhodey!" Bruce shouts, a flood engulfs both Rhodey and Rocket.

*Time skip*

"Mayday, mayday! Does anybody copy? We're in the lower level, it's flooding!" Rhodey shouts Scott who had shrunken down moves out from the debris.

"What?" Scott asks.

"We're drowning! Does anybody copy? Mayday!"

"Wait! I'm here! I'm here, can you hear me?"

*Time skip*

Clint is in the sewer system and trying to get his bearings. He flashes a light upwards to see what happened.

"Cap? {Y/N}?" Clint finds the gauntlet is with him but senses he's not alone down there. He shoots an arrow with light towards the dark tunnel and finds hordes of Outriders "damn" he takes the gauntlet and runs towards the opposite direction while the Outriders chase after him.

---
~Bread 🍞