What Should've Happened

Movie: Captain America: Civil War

"You know... I was going after, Steve, but when I saw he brought you along..." Rumlow shakes his head laughing "I couldn't resist myself... going after the Captain's girl..." Rumlow continues to laugh as {Y/N} brings her legs up kicking him to the ground before getting up herself.

"Well, let me tell you... the Captain's girl ain't that easy to take down" Rumlow gets up and the two get into a punch-up, hit after hit, blow after blow, the two fight it out.

"Come on!" Rumlow shouts as he swings his fist {Y/N} blocks it with both her hands, Rumlow takes the opportunity to headbutt her in the face, she stumbles back holding her nose when she pulls her hand away blood covers her fingertips, Rumlow runs towards her and flings her back into the wall then pins her to it with his hands "this is for your boyfriend dropping a building on my face" Rumlow says just as a knife pops out from the armour on his hand.

"You gotta be kidding me" {Y/N} says quietly which causes Rumlow to laugh.

"Don't worry, sweetheart, it'll be over quick" Rumlow brings his hand back and goes to stab her but she dodges it and gets out of his grip to move around him and rip the glove off, Rumlow tilts his head as another knife comes from his other glove.

"Come on, really?" Rumlow brings it towards her and she grabs his arm and starts punching him, he pulls back, and she kicks him in the face which sends him to the ground, she walks over to him as he sits on his knees taking off his mask and looking up at her, the two stare at each other for a moment before Rumlow speaks up.

"I think I look pretty good all things considered" he laughs dryly, Steve and Wanda watch carefully.

"Who's your buyer?" {Y/N} asks, her words coming out soft but harsh.

"You know, he knew you..." {Y/N} squints her eyes "your best friend... your brother... your Bucky."

"What did you say?"

"He remembered you. I was there. He got all weepy about it. Till they put his brain back in a blender. He wanted you to know something. He said to me, "Please tell {Y/N}. When you gotta go, you gotta go." And you're coming with me" Rumlow activates his bomb vest which causes {Y/N} to flinch as he ignites, but Wanda keeps the blast contained around Rumlow who grimaces in agony. Wanda lifts him into the air, both Steve and {Y/N} look at her as she quickly throws Rumlow upwards and he explodes mid-air next to an office building. Everyone watches in horror, Wanda falls to her ground her hands covering her mouth. {Y/N} kneels down next to Wanda as she starts sobbing.

"Shh" {Y/N} says pulling Wanda into her arms, {Y/N} looks up at Steve who's looking at the building.

"Oh my... Sam. We need... Fire and rescue, on the south side of the building" Steve, looks to {Y/N} who nods.

"Go," she says quietly rubbing Wanda's back, Steve nods and quickly runs off leaving the two behind in the screaming crowds of people.

---

"Try to remember the kind of September. When grass was green... wake up, dear. Say goodbye to your father" the woman says still playing the piano.

"Who's the homeless person on the couch?" the teenage boy that was asleep on the couch immediately gets up, pulling his Santa hat into place.

"See this is why I love coming home for Christmas. Right before you leave town" the boy says.

"Be nice dear, he's been studying abroad" the boy's mother says, his father sighs and shakes his head.

"Really?" his father asks "which broad? What's her name?"

"Candice" the boy's father pulls his sons Santa hat off of his head and throws it onto the couch.

"Do me a favour. Try not to burn the house down before Monday."

"Ok, so it's Monday. That's good to know. I'll plan my toga party accordingly. Where you going?"

"Your father's flying us out to the Bahamas for a little get away," the boy's mother says.

"We might have to make a quick stop," his father says with his hands in his pockets.

"At the Pentagon, right? Don't worry, you're gonna love the holiday menu at the commissary" the boy says, leaning over his mother's shoulder, she stops playing the piano and looks up at him.

"They say sarcasm is a metric for potential," the boy's father says pointing at his son "if that's true, you'll be a great man someday... I'll get the bags" with that this father walks out of the room, while the boy leans against the wall.

"He does mis you when you're not here. And frankly, you're going to miss us" the boy's mother gets up from the piano and walks over to him "because this is the time we're all going to be together" she stands in front of him a small frown on her face as she puts her handbag on her shoulder "you know what's about to happen" he nods and she places her hand on his arm "say something" just then his father walks back into the room, bags in hand "if you don't, you'll regret it" the boy looks at his mother for a moment before looking over at his father.

"I love you, dad" the boy smiles at his father who nods, the boy turns back to his mother "and I know you did the best you could" his mother leans forward placing a kiss on his cheek before walking out followed by his father.

"That's how I wished it happened... Binarily Augmented Retro-Framing or 'BARF'. God, I gotta work on that acronym. An extremely costly method of hijacking the hippocampus... to... clear traumatic memories" Tony says walking over to the candle that sat on the piano, he blows but nothing happens, he blows a couple more times and the room becomes pixelated "huh, it doesn't change the fact that they never made it to the airport... or all the thing I did to avoid processing my grief, but..." he takes off his glasses which causes the room to slowly disappear "plus, $611 million dollars for my little therapeutic experiment? No one in their right mind would've ever funded it. Help me out, what's the MIT mission statement?" Tony walks towards the edge of the stage looking at the audience of students in front of him "to generate, disseminate... and preserve knowledge. And work with others... to bring I to bear on the world's great challenges... well, you are the others. And, quiet as it's kept... the challenges facing you, are the greatest mankind's ever known. Plus, most of you are broke" the students laugh "oh, I'm sorry. Rather, you were. As of this moment... every student has been made an equal recipient, of the inaugural September Foundation Grant" the students, gasp quietly "as in... all of your projects have just been approved and funded" all the students start cheering and clapping "no strings, no taxes. Just... reframe the future! Starting now" Tony looks up at the prompter and sucks in a deep breath, everyone looks at him waiting for him to continue "go break some eggs," he says smiling, the students clap and cheer as Tony waves and walks off the stage.

---

~Bread 🍞