We Need To Be Put Into Check

Movie: Captain America: Civil War

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honour, which is one more than you have," Rhodes says arguing with Sam.

"So, let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam fires back.

"One hundred and seventeen countries want to sign this. one hundred and seventeen, Sam, and you're just like, "No, that's cool. We got it."

"How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation," Vision says causing everyone to look at him.

"Oh, this will clear it up," Sam says rolling his eyes.

"In the eight years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number if potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" {Y/N} asks leaning against the kitchen counter with her arms crossed.

"I'm saying there may be a causality... our very strength invites challenge. Challenge invites conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe. Oversight... oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom" Rhodes says looking over at Sam.

"Tony," Natasha says, Tony moves his hand away from his face and looks at her "you're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind" Steve replies.

"Boy, you know me so well" Tony groans getting up "actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache" he then moves towards the kitchen "that's what's going on, Cap. It's just a pain" he grabs a coffee cup and places it on the counter top "it's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" everyone's silent as Tony takes something from his pocket and puts it in a basket he taps on it a few times when suddenly a picture of a boy pops up "oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way, he's a great kid" {Y/N} looks at Tony then back to the picture "computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall" Tony says making a cup of coffee "but first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where? Sokovia" {Y/N} looks down running her hand down her face sighing quietly "he wanted to make a difference, I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass" Tony pops something into his mouth before taking a sip of coffee "there's no decision-making process here. We need to be put into check. Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations if we're boundary-less... we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up," Steve says.

"Who said we're giving up?"

"We are id we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame."

"I'm sorry, Steve. That... that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA" Rhodes says.

"No, but it's run by people with agendas and agendas change" {Y/N} replies.

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands I shut it down and stopped manufacturing" Tony says.

"Tony you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose" Steve says.

"What if this panel sends is somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, look at me I'm an ex-HYDRA weapon, but the safest hands are still our own" Tony turns to her.

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty."

"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda says.

"We'll protect you."

"Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off..." Natasha is cut off by Sam.

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam asks leaning forward with his arms crossed.

"I'm just reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

"Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you... or did you agree with me?" Tony asks.

"Oh, I want to take it back now" Nat replies.

"No, you can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented" Tony says, {Y/N} looks over at Steve as he pulls his phone out of his pocket "ok. Case closed. I win" Steve frowns before getting up.

"I have to go" he places the book on the table and quickly walks out of the room, {Y/N} looks at everyone before following.

"Steve?" she finds him in the stairwell head in his hands "Steve?" she asks quietly walking towards him, he looks at her eyes red and filled with unshed tears.

"She's gone" he murmurs, {Y/N} frowns wrapping her arms around him.

"I'm sorry, Steve" she replies letting a tear slip from her eye.

---

~Bread 🍞