{38}

Music started playing through the house. Emily wanted to get up and dance but then she remembered her ankle.

"Come on," Eben stood in front of Emily, his hand out and a smile on his face.

"I can't, sorry," Emily kindly rejected.

Eben just rolled his eyes and picked Emily up anyway. He twirled them both around the room, Emily laughing so hard she was nearly falling over.

The song stopped and Eben finally stopped dancing. Emily was still laughing and was leaning on Eben to stop herself from falling over.

"You're very good," Emily nudged Eben. He just laughed in response.

When Emily looked up Eben had a huge smile on his face. There was a loose piece of hair hanging infront of Emily's face, so Eben quickly tucked it behind her ear.

There was a huff and Jack stormed out of the room. Emily rolled her eyes and said she better go after him.

"I'm coming in," Emily warned, pushing open the door where Jack was pacing around the room. "Is everything okay?" she found herself saying for the second time today in this room.

"I'm fine. Why don't you just go flirt with Eben some more," Jack spat back, venom dripping from his voice.

"Oh your jealous," Emily said sarcastically, jutting out her hip and putting all the weight on her good ankle.

"I'm not jealous. Just go back and have fun with everyone else," Jack said this a little louder making Emily recoil a small bit.

"Why are you being so cruel?"

"Just leave Emily!"

"Okay, fine," Emily turned and painfully walked out of the room. She walked down the stairs and grabbed her keys from the counter in the kitchen.

"Is everything okay?" Emma asked, coming out of the sitting room.

"Fine. But I'm going home now so you can stay the night or go home with Raya,"

Emily slammed the front door shut behind her. She was only praying that her tears wouldn't fall until she reached the car.

Finally she was in the enclosed space of her new car. Emily let the tears flow freely then, she leaned her head against the wheel. She forgot about the fact she was terrified of driving alone and pulled away from the house.

****

Jack stood where he was, staring at the spot on the floor where Emily had just been standing, until he heard the front door slam shut. Why did he say that?