Brother

My mind wanders after Jenx saying such a thing about becoming the actual ruler of this land, what deeds must be done once your King?

I eagerly wanted to ask her, but her expression seemed like this topic shouldn't be put further. Like I was about to learn something dangerous. I refrain from asking her the question that baffles me, I should learn this type of thing naturally.

"Anyway," Jenx shakes out of her current state, "If you want to help in this sibling spat, then avoid Jaspar. His strategy is clear to me, he understands that emotions can significantly weaken someone. He also understands that his brute force isn't enough to beat Jack."

I sigh, and look down.

I'm sure, there was a time Jack tried to connect with Jaspar.

_______________________________________________________________

JACK POV (FLASHBACK)

I remember being so confused when Jaspar showed up.

The royal guard appeared and was followed by another small kid like me, he seemed my age but a few years older. Actually, he seems a lot older than the rest of us.

He had long fuzzy hair, and he looked like he rolled in dirt for a long time and got beat up. But the young me interpreted as he was different than most of us, that means he would actually be interested in playing with me.

Back then we were raised from an infant age, however he joined us when he was in his pre-teens.

When we had a break from all this training, I curiously looked upon this 'newbie' and saw him practising the same sword stroke with a sword, I for some reason, saw him as a playmate.

As I start to approach him, Jenx blocked my way.

"Are you going to talk to him?" She asked.

"We're going to be best buddies!" I responded in excitement.

"I feel like I have to keep baby-sitting you," Jenx rolled her eyes, "Not one of us are even going to call him a sibling."

I tilted my head, "Why not?"

"Look at him!" She exclaimed, "This boy is from the slums of Hell, I'm not even sure if he's got any royal blood. But one things for sure, he was basically an orphan before any of this and he was homeless."

I gently pushed Jenx aside, and told her, "Even if something is from a dirty place, it can be soft."

I found myself standing in front of the guy, and him looking at me with an expression of irritation, like I interrupted something so very important.

"You!" I demanded, "What's your name?"

"Jaspar." He simply responded.

"I'm Jack!" I enthusiastically introduced myself, "But you can call me brother if you like!"

Jaspar had a blank face and replied with a flat voice that did not waver with any emotion, "We're not family."

I didn't say anything, I was just confused. I thought everyone by default was family or blood related. We were all connected in a way in this place, and I was just happy with that.

"I can call you my brother, but I don't really mean that. It's just another word for 'enemy'." He told me, "You've been here longer than me, but you don't even understand that."

I pouted then started going off like a child would, "Then why are you here?! The only people that come here are supposed to be family!"

"I'm not apart of the royal family, however I am a contender." Jaspar said to me firmly and grasped his sword tightly and swung it at me, by instinct I moved back. Jaspar was positioned like he was kneeling and his eyes were closed.

"My eyes don't look like they come from royal blood." He starts to speak, and moves up to stand, "But a killer's." He opens his eyes and I realize his blood red eyes, I was scared and shuffled back a bit.

Jenx interrupts us, "Hmm ... so you don't have any royal blood? Why do I feel so relieved that a rat from the slums is not in any way related to us."

Jaspar snarls, and moved his head away in anger.

"Then why are you here?" I asked, trying to process the whole thing in my head.

He walked away after that, no one ever questioned why he was amongst us. I know why he never said anything, because he didn't know himself, why he was really with us.

I don't even know now, because I realised blood didn't tie us together anymore. Rapunzel, who was not even remotely related to me, I regarded as family.

It still doesn't matter whether he is not related to me.

My father chose him, so I had no choice but to call him my brother.

But like he said, there is no meaning behind such a word.