Welcome to Camp Half-Blood

Katie's POV:

"Landon, my feet hurt. Are we almost there?" After the day that we'd had already, I'm ready to collapse and forget that my whole life has just uprooted and normalcy was thrown out the window 5 days ago. "Come on Katie, you killed your first hell hound today. You can survive walking another 1/2 mile." I rolled my eyes at my protector and wiped the sweat beading on my forehead. "I'm nearly 13, I shouldn't be killing hell hounds. I should be in school and not trekking through the woods with my best friend, who turns out to be some half man, half goat person and as if that isn't bad enough, apparently I'm only half human." I groaned and Landons chuckle filled the strangely silent forest. "I'm called a saytr, and you're called a half-blood." I sigh and start walking a bit faster because I'm just ready to get to this camp Landon hasn't shut up about. 

A couple minutes later, I stop in the center of a clearing because I can finally make out our destination in the distance. I squint my eyes to try and see from our positions when I start to notice all the trees shaking every couple seconds. I pause and look back to see Landon stopped a couple feet behind me. He's already on high alert as he scans for inevitable danger in the dense trees around us. I part my lips to ask a question when he holds his finger up to keep me quiet and he lowers to one knee on the ground. He presses one palm into the dirt and sniffs at the air for a couple moments till dread suddenly crosses his face. A shadow crosses over from above me and I look up to my left to see a whole tree flying right for me.

"KATIE, GET DOWN!!!!" I freeze like a deer in headlights and scream as it closes in on me and Landon runs towards me. He tackles me and I hit the ground hard on my back as the tree crashes down where I was once standing. Landon quickly gets off me and pulls me to my feet. I feel the ground rumbling a bit more and when I look in the direction that the tree came from, I can see whole trees being knocked down as something BIG makes its way towards us. "GO GO GO!!!! RUN KATIE!!!! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN THROUGH THE ARCH AND DON'T STOP!!! I'M RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!" Landons evident fear in his voice plants even more fear in me as I nod and turn on my heel, taking off towards the arch as fast as my tired legs can take me. The over abundance of fear keeps me from screaming and my only focus now is getting on the other side of the arch where I should be safe. 

I'm finally so close that I can see the greek symbols written across the top of the arch but when I blink and open my eyes again, I suddenly can see "Camp Half-Blood" written across the top in English. A roar erupts from somewhere behind me and I scream as I run right underneath the arch. I gasp as I pass through the barrier and come to a halt, nearly collapsing as I breath heavily and I place my hands on my knees. I look back to see Landon galloping towards me and I smile in relief. I straighten up when a huge giant comes barreling out of the woods and runs right into Landons path as he skids to a stop at the foot of the giant. The huge monsters suddenly scoops Landon up in his huge hand before he can run and turns towards me with a wicked grin. I scream in terror as Landon is thrown into his mouth and swallowed whole right in front of me.

I continue to wail as I fall to my knees and my palms land in the dirt below me, screaming in despair as loud as my lungs will allow. I open my eyes as my tears begin hitting the dirt and I'm stunned when each one begins glowing green before they soak into the dirt. It takes a moment but my eternal flood gates suddenly burst wide open as natures energy washes through my veins and I can immediately feel every living plant from the lonely leaves blowing in the breeze down to the smallest atom in the dirt around me. I can feel the huge tree roots below where the monster stands as I scream in anger....and they respond to my distress call. They burst from below the dirt and wrap about the monsters leg as he begins to panic. The roots remain strong as the monster try to run but it trips and falls backward, shaking the ground when he lands. 

I stand up and wipe my eyes as I pull the gold bangle Landon entrusted to me off my wrist. The roots wrap tighter with each second around the monster as it roars. I walk towards it as the bangle morphs into a gold throwing dagger encrusted with small emeralds and diamonds in my hand. I spin it in my hand the way Landon had taught me last night as I stalk towards the giant squirming monster. I wipe the hot tears of anger still running down my face as I hoist myself up its giant leg and make my way to its chest.