Pete Wentz x Reader - Backstage

Requested on Tumblr
Word
count: 1 860

You had your arms crossed in front of your chest as music was pulsating through your body. From backstage you had a perfect view on the stage while being hidden from the crowd, but the cheers and shouts and the clapping and singing of the audience was still audible. A wide smile was plastered on your face as you watched Fall Out Boy perform for the last time on this tour.

It had been five months on the road. Originally you were not supposed to join the band, but their manager had gotten very sick the day before the tour started and had asked you to take their place. You had not even thought twice about the answer before saying yes. And since you got along with the guys, you had decided to finish the tour together with them, much to the relief of their manager, so they could take their time with getting better. Now five months of sharing a cramped tour bus came to an end.

Your eyes wandered over the musicians. You had liked Patrick from the beginning. He was always kind and respectful and made sure to be no trouble for you.

Andy was not much different, even though he sometimes liked to break one rule or the other. But he made up for it with kindness.

Joe was different. More than once you had sent out the others to find Joe. He loved to get to know people and usually he forgot the time over making new friends. You understood that he was interested in other peoples' mindsets, especially other musicians', but he had delayed the takeoff of the tour bus at least two dozen times. He usually came running to the bus, all red in the face and excusing himself endlessly over your strict and punitive stares.

And then there was Pete. He was a troublemaker. If there was a rule that he was able to break, he would break it. Be it getting drunk during weekdays or being late to the bus, letting his stuff lay around the bus or as simple things as taking other peoples' food from the fridge. He stuck to no rule and he liked to play pranks, which annoyed you to death during the first few weeks. You had never been managing a band as big as Fall Out Boy on tour before and Pete made sure to make your life difficult. But with time it got better. You found ways to get Pete to behave. You made sure he got no alcohol during weekdays, you paired him up with Patrick for after the shows, so Patrick would make sure they were back at the bus on time, you once collected all his stuff that was laying around and put it into a garbage bag to leave it at the next stop. Pete had only noticed half a minute before the bus took off again, that most of his things were missing and quickly got out to grab the bag. He had learned that lesson. And once, you mixed the little remains of your strawberry jam (from which Pete liked to steal) with chili sauce. Needless to say that he stopped stealing your food after that.

And then, one day, things changed. It was after a show and the guys were out while you relaxed on the bus. Suddenly Pete walked in and asked if he could talk to you. Of course you said yes, one of your jobs was to make sure the guys were in good physical and mental conditions.

That evening Pete opened up to you. He told you all about his hopes and dreams and worries and fears. Under the mask of carelessness he always looked out for his friends. He was afraid to let them down, to let the fans down if he should be unable to write good texts, or messed up a show. He worried the guys were under too much pressure from all the shows and how he could help them. He worried you were under too much pressure. In general, he constantly worried about everyone on the bus. You listened patiently, sometimes asking questions to understand him better. You calmed him down and made sure he understood that he was not responsible for everyone.

That evening was the first of many. He often came to search your advice after that night. He tried to get you to talk about yourself as well, but there was not much to say. You were single, had no pets, no houseplants, but a loving family that supported your job as a manager on tour. So you spent hours and hours talking about music and life and the world. And without noticing, you fell in love with him. It had only accrued to you a few weeks ago. You had woken up and suddenly you realized that all the butterflies and hitching breaths and weak knees were because you were in love with Pete. And there was no chance that it would ever be more than unrequited feelings.