Dallon Weekes x Reader - Zombie

Requested on Tumblr

Warnings: violence, everyone dies (and I mean EVERYONE), blood, zombies, guns, all these nice things, sad
Word
count: 3 593
A/N:
My baby sister decided the ending, so all complaints about that go to her ;)

It seemed like yesterday, yet worlds apart that you had seen the news, warning about this new disease. For a few weeks it had only been that, a message on the tv, but then everything had gone downhill. Some people said it was a virus that had escaped a research facility. Some people said it was a disease from outer space, something that had come to earth on a meteorite. Some people said it was god's punishment. You did not know where it came from. You only knew it had taken everyone you had ever loved from you, first your mother and your father, your grandparents and then even your little sister. The city had turned into a ghost town.

Unlike the movies always pictured, not all the other living people wanted to harm you. Over time you met many people who all searched for help, so you helped each other. Almost half a year after the outbreak of this 'zombie-virus' as you called it, you had become part of a big group of survivors, every day fighting to survive in the wasteland that this world had become. Some people would argue that big groups were not effective, and it was true to certain extends. The more people you were the slower you could travel, the less agile you were. But bigger groups meant more safety. There were always several people on guard duty while the others were cooking or sleeping. You had more knowledge about everything, since everyone knew different things. And you felt saver in general.

For a while this group seemed to withstand every obstacle that was thrown in its way. You were a team, you were strong together. And then the first one died.

It was Patrick, poor, sweet Patrick. You had liked him the moment you first saw him. He had become your best friend in the group, always making an effort to be nice and optimistic.

It had been a not unusual scenario. The group had inspected an old supermarket, in the hopes of finding more than a few berries to eat, and had been surprised by the zombies, undead, diseased, whatever you want to call them. Everyone had started running, but some of these monsters had been fast, terribly fast. They had grabbed Patrick by his legs and pulled him to the floor. Gerard and Ray had immediately turned around, trying to save him, but they had only been able to watch as their friend was torn into pieces by the bloodthirsty creatures.

It had been Dallon, Dallon of all people, who had picked your crying and screaming form up, carrying you away from the scene of the murder. You had liked Patrick, he had been your friend and you refused to believe that he was gone. And you hated Dallon, he was always for himself, never seemed to care about anyone, and now he was separating you from your best friend.

You had nightmares for weeks, the blood and the screams still vivid in your imagination. The only comfort you had gotten, was the hat, Patrick had left behind. You knew it was stupid and childish, but when the horrors where too overwhelming, you took the hat and cradled it against your chest, like a kid with its stuffed toy.

The second one was Brendon. At first everything seemed fine, only a bite. Mikey had been fast with killing the monster, so a single bite seemed easy to deal with. Or so everyone thought.

You had taken care of the wound, being the one with the most extensive medical knowledge. You had wrapped a semi-clean bandage around Brendon's injured hand and told him to check it tomorrow.

It had been during dinner, exactly twenty-four hours after the bite. Brendon was telling a story, the bowl with hot soup resting in his lap, when he suddenly fell asleep. Everyone had exchanged glances, wondering how someone like Brendon could fall asleep in the middle of a sentence, and then Joe noticed he was not breathing. You had scrambled to your feet, quickly walking over to the seemingly asleep Brendon, and had taken his pulse. None.