Gerard Way x Reader - Love is Love

Requested on Tumblr
Reader:
male
Warnings
: homophobic slurs, Spoiler Alert for 'Love Simon'
Word
count: 3 424
A/N:
I watched 'Love Simon' (so spoiler alert) a while ago and got seriously upset about his friends' behavior after he got outed. And I wanted to put things right in a way, because there has to be some weird shit going on with me if I don't befriend the forcibly outed kid when I notice none of their friends are around.

Your eyes flickered over the screen again and again, not able to believe what you were reading. You reloaded the page, just to be sure, but the black letters were still clearly being displayed on the school's anonymous confession website.

"Gerard Way is a fag"

You were not sure which part of the statement was disturbing you the most. Obviously this was not the way someone wanted to come out. You would not want to come out like that at least. So someone had outed this boy, probably without his consent. Someone who was, judging by the word they had chosen, homophobic.

It was no secret that your school was not the most LGBT+ friendly ground in town, but it still disgusted you. And then there was that name. You had never really talked to Gerard before, but you knew he was in art class with one of your friends. Apparently he was pretty good a drawing. And he would definitely not have been on top of your 'who might be gay but not out'-list. You did not really have a list, neither on paper nor in your mind, but Gerard really was not within the first twenty names you would have said if someone had asked you who you thought was gay on your school. Of course you could not just look at people and tell if they were homosexual, but being gay yourself, you would have expected some sort of instinct or something kick in. Apparently not.

Anyway, Gerard was one of the lonely punk students at your school. You knew he had a brother, Mikey, but he was younger and not yet on the same school, his friend Ray had moved away before summer break and other than him you had never seen anyone talk to Gerard.

You wondered if he knew. Did he just sit in front of his laptop, like you? Was his heart beating faster, his chest imploding, tears falling down his cheeks? You knew that would be your reaction if someone outed you, especially like that. 'Gerard Way is a faggot', who would write, say, or even think something like that? Had people no respect for each other? Why could some people not just accept that love is love? On the other hand, you knew why you were not out. Because there were too many people who were not tolerant, and you were not even sure if your friends would have your back.

~*~

You had kind of hoped that Gerard's sexuality would not be topic number one when you walked to school with your friends on the first day of the new school year. But the post was barely a week old, and people were too excited to see Gerard, now that they knew this thing about him, that seemed to change the way they looked at him. Idiots.

The lunch room was as crowded as you remembered. People pushed around and tried to get their favorite spots in the room. You sat at a table close to the door, a warm breeze of late summer air blowing past your bare arms.

"Okay, but seriously? I always thought something was weird about him," your friend Gina declared, placing her tablet down next to yours and sliding into the bench, her knee brushing against yours.

"But he a girlfriend last year, right," Paul, another one of your friends replied, making space for Mark, the fourth in the group.

"Imagine how she must be feeling right now," he said, looking across the hall to where the girl was sitting.

"Imagine how he must be feeling right now," you answered, not being able to stay quiet any longer. "Imagine some ass posts something so personal about you, how would you feel?"