Patrick Stump x Reader - We Were So Good

Requested on Tumblr
Word
count: 2 533

You first met Patrick when you both were two and a half years old. He was playing in a sandbox on a playground and had just finished making a beautiful sand cake, decorated with leaves and twigs, when an older boy came and destroyed Patrick's masterpiece. You were little and did not know Patrick, but you realized he was sad about the other boy's behavior so you decided to revenge Patrick's sand cake. Patrick liked you immediately when you stared to hit the older boy with your red plastic shovel. Your mother was not very proud of you, but you felt like you had done the right thing. After you had been scolded by your mother, Patrick walked over to you and offered to play together. You had been friends ever since.

When you had your first day at kindergarten, you had been terrified. Your mother had left you in this strange place with so many other children and you were scared. But then Patrick walked around the corner and you hugged him and followed him around everywhere. When you were supposed to take naps in the early afternoon, you were crying when you had to sleep on your own mattress, so Patrick walked over to you against the scolding of the educator, and lay down next to you. You kept this pattern all through kindergarten.

In elementary school you were in the same class and you were inseparable. When in third grade you sent a Valentine's Day card to your crush and he laughed at you, Patrick actually got into a fist fight with him, because he was so mad about someone making fun of you.

When you got to middle school, you had weekly sleepovers at each other's houses. Your mother then started to joke you and Patrick would get married one day. You were mad at her for that. Patrick was your best friend in the world. You would never fall in love with him.

In high school, you and Patrick told each other everything about your crushes on people. You spent hours sitting in your room, making up ridiculous plans to get your crushes to like you. Patrick comforted you after you had found out that the guy you liked got into a relationship with another girl. Patrick once broke up with his girlfriend because she thought he was betraying her with you. You knew how heartbroken Patrick was over loosing this girl, so you went to her house and told her the story of Patrick's and your friendship. She believed you and the next day the two made up and got back together. You were unconditionally happy for Patrick. Two months later she cheated on him with the football captain. And you had to mend Patrick's broken heart with lots of ice cream, hot chocolate, and evil jokes about her. When your date for the prom after graduation canceled the plans for the night, Patrick, who had planned on staying home, put on his father's suit (which was too big for him by several sizes) and took you out to prom instead. That was the last night you spent with him.

Two days after prom you moved to the other side of the states to go to college. At first you called Patrick regularly, but you were stressed out with the studying and you started to forget to call him. Because he called neither, you lost contact.

~*~

You were twenty-five when you moved back into your hometown. You had always planned on coming back home. You were not living with your parents anymore; instead you had a small, cozy apartment close to your work. The first few weeks you concentrated completely on moving in and getting used to your new workplace. Then, one Friday evening, you got a message from one of your old school friends, Joanna. She had heard you were back in town and invited you out for a drink or two at a local pub. Even though the day had been long, you said yes, happy to get a distraction from work.

You decided to walk to the pub. The night air was cool, but you enjoyed the fresh breeze after a day of hectic working. You walked down familiar streets and noticed many little changes along the way. The pub was only a few streets down, so you arrived sooner than you had expected.