Gerard Way x Reader - Distraction

Requested on Tumblr
Word
count: 1 889
A/N:
In Germany we don't have Thanksgiving, so this might be a little unusual... Happy Thanksgiving to all of you out there!

With a sigh you slammed the heavy door of the oven shut and wiped the back of your hand over your forehead. You had been working in the kitchen for already more than two hours and you were far from being done. Just now you had put the turkey into the oven, giving you some time to get working on the side dishes. It was Thanksgiving, so your boyfriend's as well as your own family were scheduled to arrive in a few hours from now. And you were nervous. You had met Gerard's parents before, but your parents had not. Also you had never hosted a Thanksgiving dinner, and thinking back to your childhood, how your grandmother had always prepared perfect food for the whole family of more than twenty people, gave you some standards to live up to, or at least so you thought.

"It smells delicious," Gerard complimented as he walked into the kitchen.

He was already wearing the fancy new sweater which he had bought the other week. Quickly you scanned your boyfriend's appearance and smiled to yourself. He looked good, always did, but right now even more than usually. His brown hair was freshly washed and combed, his eyes were sparkling brightly, the sweater and the elegant, but simple, matching brown trousers made him look homey and comfortable. All you really wanted to do now was cuddle up with him on the sofa and spent the evening alone, not having to cook a brilliant meal or hosting the Thanksgiving dinner.

"Thank you," you mumbled, tearing away from your thoughts of cuddling Gerard and instead turned back towards the list of dishes you still had to cook. Luckily you had planned ahead of what to cook when, otherwise you would have sunken into total chaos by now.

"So...," you heard Gerard walk up behind you as you searched for the next recipe in the cooking book. "do you know how happy I am right now?"

He was standing right behind you now, and placed his hands at your waist, pulling you into him so he could rest his head on your shoulder.

"Ahm... very?"

You wriggled out of his arms and walked over to the fridge, grabbing the Brussels sprouts and the carrots.

"It's perfect you see," Gerard continued, watching you closely as you rinsed off the vegetables in the sink, "I always wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving with not only my family, but also the one I love most in the world, and now I get to do exactly that."

You smiled again, feeling a blush rising into your cheeks while you heard Gerard grab cutting boards and knives from one of the drawers, starting to clean out the Brussels sprouts.

"I'm a little nervous," you confessed, "Our parents have never met each other, what if they don't get along? I mean, Mikey and Chris have met before and like each other, but like... you know my dad, he can be kinda difficult. I just don't want the evening to end in a murder or something."

Gerard chuckled at your concern.

"I'm sure our parents will behave, even if it might just be so they get invited again, because it smells fantastic."

You helped Gerard cut the carrots and seasoned everything, so it was ready to be put in the oven later. You did not want to put it in too early, otherwise it would be cold by the time it got served.

After that you started peeling potatoes. Gerard watched, since there was only one swivel-bladed peeler, but after a while he got restless. So he started hugging you from behind, which at first was no problem considering you were only peeling potatoes. Then he started blowing kisses against your neck and into your hair, working up the way until he was peppering your cheeks with butterfly kisses. On the one hand you loved how affectionate he was. It was not unusual for him to get all touchy, especially while you were working in the kitchen, but right now it got slightly into the way of your work.