Uncle!Joe - A Day With Joe

Requested on Tumblr
Word
count: 1 354

Had you believed that you were allowed to sleep in on this Saturday morning, you had been wrong. You were woken up by the heavy impact of your French bulldog Hemingway on your chest, after the dog had launched himself onto your bed. You groaned and tried to turn around until you realized that someone must have opened your room door to let the excited four legged animal inside. You turned towards the door and saw your father Pete standing in the door frame giggling. You grabbed your pillow and threw it at him but he only ducked it laughing and entered your room.

"Dad, it's Saturday," you mumbled, trying to avoid getting licked into your mouth by Hemingway.

"Joe's gonna be over in thirty minutes," he answered, the grin on his face audible in the way he was talking.

Immediately you were awake.

"Joe's gonna come over?"

Joe was not only your father's band mate, he was like an uncle to you. Since you had been little, Joe often visited and looked after you when your parents were busy. He took you to fun parks and long hikes in the mountains and he told you about his music and listened to your thoughts and worries. Over time he had become the one person you talked to about everything. Yes, you talked to Pete too, but it was much easier to talk to Joe about heartbreak or stupid teachers. Especially since he knew none of the people you were talking about and therefore you were allowed to swear as much as you wanted about people who upset you. And for a good while now you considered Joe your best friend. Yes, he was a lot older than you, but he knew you better than anyone in the world and he always listened and gave advice if needed. You tried to do the same, even though it was difficult since he had a lot more experience in life than you did, yet he insisted that because you were so much younger than him, you had a different perspective on things and therefore often ideas he had not even considered yet.

You quickly got out of bed and jumped under the shower before throwing on some comfortable, clean clothes and heading downstairs for breakfast. You were halfway done with your bowl of cereal, when the doorbell rang. Hemingway started barking excitedly and you quickly got up from your place on the kitchen table to open the door, but Pete was faster. When you reached the hallway, Joe was already standing inside, giving Pete a short hug.

"Joe!" you exclaimed and flung your arms around him once he was finished hugging your father.

"Hey kiddo," he laughed and patted your head. "What do you want to do today?"

~*~

You all walked backed to the kitchen where Pete poured a cup of coffee for Joe and you finished your cereal. After that Joe and you discussed what you wanted to do today. You wanted to go hiking and Joe wanted to go for ice cream since it was a sunny and warm spring day. Pete suddenly remembered a park not too far away where both would be possible. It did not take any further discussing and you prepared a backpack with some water and a few sweets for along the way. Since Joe had come to spend the day with you, Pete stayed home but convinced you to take Hemingway along.

Less than half an hour after Joe had entered your house, you were seated in his car, Hemingway in the back and you were driving towards the park Pete had told you about.

You loved riding in the car with Joe. He always allowed you to put on your music and turn it up as loud as you wanted to. The windows were down and Joe quietly sung along to the Beatles' songs you were playing over the radio. Hemingway was holding his nose into the cool morning air and you were relaxing in the wind that blew through your hair.

Forty-five minutes later Joe pulled into the parking lot of the park. It was still empty and only two other cars were parked on the gravel. You climbed out of the car and put Hemingway on the leash so he could not run away and start chasing rabbits or whatever he would find.

Joe walked over to the big information board and together you decided on a way you could walk that would lead you back to the parking lot in the end, where a carousel, an ice cream shop and a kiosk was located. Together you searched for the path you had decided on walking and started your adventure.

The air was warm and the sky without clouds, yet a cool breeze was blowing through the trees. Joe was walking next to you, excitedly telling you about the tunes he had thought of for one of the band's new songs. He hummed it to you and listened to your commentary while Hemingway was exploring the side of the way with his nose on the ground and his stumpy tail in the air.

Every now and then you stopped and asked Joe for the name of a plant you had spotted next to the path and Joe always knew what they were called. It was about noon when you made a break, sitting on a rock on the top of a hill that allowed you a good sight over the nearby landscape. You were eating gummy bears and drank the water you had brought and Hemingway took a nap in the shadow of the stone. Joe had started asking how things were for you and you told him everything that had happened since you had seen him last. You told him about the football game you had been too and how your school had lost the game, you told him about the unfriendly science teacher and how your best friend's boyfriend had broken up with her. You got a few advices from Joe on how to help other people with heartbreak and after some silence in which you listened to the singing of the birds, the wind in the trees and Hemingway's snoring, you decided to continue your way. The second part of the hiking tour was easier to walk since now you had to go downhill. You came across a clearing with many colorful spring flowers and sometime later a tiny brook crossed the way in which Hemingway took a refreshing bath.

When you neared the parking lot, you could hear the excited screams of children who were riding on the carousel or having ice cream. It was weird to step out of the quiet forest into the open field which was dominated by technology and people. You were slightly exhausted since it had gotten quite warm over time and you were sweaty from all the walking. Now that you had gotten your wish to go hiking, Joe finally fulfilled his wish, to get ice cream, as well. Together you sat down in front of the shop in the shadow of an old tree. Joe ordered lemonade for both of you and let you choose your favorite ice cream.

You talked and laughed a lot, enjoying the rest of the afternoon in the company of each other and it felt so perfect and relaxing to be able to spent time with someone who did not judge, or educate you on everything.

The drive back home was spent in silence, apart from both of you singing along to the music on the radio. Hemingway was asleep in the back and you were close to falling asleep too.

When Joe pulled into the driveway in front of your house, you hugged him good bye and thanked him for the amazing day. He smiled at you gently as he always did and wished you good night.

"Had a good day," Pete asked when you stepped through the front door and released Hemingway from the leash.

Tiredly but happy you smiled at him and nodded.

"The best."