MCR + Reader - Valid

Requested on Tumblr
Reader:
transitioning from female to male
Word
count: 1 110
A/N:
I'm describing a little bit of what my best friend, who is nb, told me about their experiences. I'm sure it is pretty individual, and I hope no one is offended by my descriptions. If it is incorrect, please let me know!

"Uno-uno," you declared proudly, placing your last card on top of the stack of cards, leaning back into the sofa.

Ray, who was the winner, reached over the table to high-five you. Mikey groaned since he had been certain he could make second place, but he was not too annoyed as his smile gave away. You took a deep breath. It was a weirdly liberating feeling to not be wearing a binder for once. While on bus, you always were stuck in the internal debate of wearing the restricting piece of cloth, or if you wanted to be constantly reminded about your chest. Luckily your chest dysphoria had gotten better over time, your friends and family playing an important part in you being able to accept your body even when it did not match your gender identity. You still wore your binder often, especially on stage, to meet and greets, and to interviews, but here on the bus no one doubted your gender, and you knew that binding could pose a threat to your health, especially in warm weather like today. So you had opted for some shorts and a nice, oversized shirt that probably at some point had belonged to Ray. It was comfortable, perfect for a lazy day on the tour bus and nicely hid away any curves that you wanted to cover up.

The sound of the motor changed and got lower, signaling all of you that the bus was about to halt. A few seconds later the vehicle jumped to a stop, destroying the neat stack of cards.

"Break everyone," the tour manager announced and the four band members and you, their drummer, climbed out of the bus.

The bright light of a hot mid-day sun was blinding at first, the wave of heat that rolled over you as you excited the bus immediately made you sweat. Arizona was bloody hot in summer and you were glad that you had chosen some shorts to wear, unlike Mikey who wore long jeans. The air flickered above the road, and dust was swirled into the air by your steps on the dry ground.

You followed your bandmates to the little shed, that was connected to the gas station. The parking lot was pretty empty. You spied only two trucks and a silver car next to the bus.

As expected, the gas station shop was small, only offering some cooled beverages like water and beer, some snacks and fresh hot dogs. You scanned the snack aisle, contemplating to buy some chocolate for a moment, but then you remembered the vegan chocolate that another drummer had given you the other day. You should eat that first, and this chocolate here would probably melt the moment you set foot outside the air-conditioned shop. You looked around the room until you spotted the sign that lead to the bathrooms and waved over at Gerard to let him know you would take a quick toilet break, so they would not forget you, like they had forgotten Ray a few times before.

You stepped through the door with the sign 'bathrooms' and were met with a short corridor with two doors. Automatically you walked over to the women's bathroom door, but did not push it open, your gaze wandering over to the men's bathroom. You were a guy, so why should you use the girl's bathroom? Shyly you strode over to the men's bathroom and placed your hand on the door handle, ready to open the door, but then you froze when you heard two male voices inside. You hesitated. You had used the men's bathroom before, but only when you were sure it was empty and you were wearing your binder. You shook your head. This was ridiculous, why were you worrying so much? It was only a bathroom! Yet you could not shake of the feeling of rising panic in your chest and you slowly drew back your hand from the cool metal handle.

In that moment a hand landed on your shoulder and you quickly spun around, as if you had been discovered doing something forbidden. You were met with the sight of Frank's gentle hazel eyes looking at you curiously.

"You going in or what," he asked, eyebrows raised.

"I..." you tried to explain, but the words got stuck in your throat.

Frank looked at you confused for a moment, the he hummed and his expression changed from confusion to understanding.

"You're not used to using the men's bathroom," he realized, "Sorry, I sometimes forget."

"I'm not wearing my binder and there are people in there," you explained shyly, but Frank just shrugged.

"Want to go in together," he offered.

A weight was falling off your shoulder and you nodded. Frank winked at you and strode in first, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. And it probably was. Everyone went to the bathroom.

Inside two men were standing by the sink, one drying of his hands, the other one still rinsing soap off. You heartbeat quickened and you stayed close to Frank, mentally preparing explanations, defenses and sassy comeback for the case one of them would say something stupid to you. Secretly you knew though that you would not have to defend yourself, mostly because Frank would be a lot quicker than you to handle the situation, should one arise.

But much to your relief the men did not care at all about you or Frank. They did not even look at you as you walked past them. They just continued chatting about the perfect percentage of fat in milk. When you had passed them, you quickly darted into one of the toilet booths.

Not much later, you joined Frank at the sink, also washing your hands. You could feel his eyes at your side and nervously you turned around to him.

"You know you can ask any of us if you don't want to do this alone, like going to the bathroom on your own or something," he said quietly, a sincere look in his eyes. "It's just... I think we sometimes forget that it's different for you, that things that are natural to us are hard, or new to you."

You nodded, feeling incredibly grateful for his offer. "Thanks, Frank," you mumbled, smiling a little. "And hey, generally it's a good thing you forget that things might be different for me. I guess it means you accept me."

"Hell yeah," Frank laughed, "I accept you a lot, and respect you even more!" He patted your shoulder proudly. "Come on, man," he grinned, "let's get back to the others before they forget us here."

Note: This was the 100th request I wrote! In other numbers: that's about 400 pages, and a little over 200 000 words. Wow. Thanks for keeping me busy all this time.

I'm gonna be gone for the next three or four weeks, because I am on holiday, but please feel free to send in requests or questions or literally anything, if you feel like it!