Advent Calendar - Dec 24

*Picture Source: http://triflingthings.ca/post/181253759493/working-over-christmas-can-be-cute*

Words: 1 941
Prompt from @/fanficy-prompts on Tumblr

You leant back against the counter of the empty coffee shop, adjusting the black apron which was tied around your waist. It was Christmas Eve, and since you were the only employee of the small coffee shop who did not have any big Christmas dinner plans, you had been given the last shift of the day, which tied you to the cozy, but now lonely shop until midnight. Then you could close up, and go home. Your family lived half way across the country, and this year there had not been enough money left for you to fly over for the holidays, so you had decided to stay here.

You wondered why you were even longing to go back home after this shift. What was waiting there for you except the halfheartedly decorated Christmas tree, and the now cold Chinese take-out from lunch? Your bed, with soft, cozy but cold blankets, no one to keep them warm while you were at work, no one to welcome you home, not even a cat who would cuddle with you when you sat down, or a fish who would completely ignore you. But the way it was, the flat was as empty as this shop, but less decorated. Well, Christmas this year officially sucked.

None the less, you automatically put on your customer smile and turned towards the door as you heard the bell ring. The artificial smile was immediately replaced by a real one though once you recognized the red-brown hair, and the icy gray eyes of one of your favorite regulars.

"Merry Christmas," you smiled as Andy walked over to the counter, "The usual?"

He nodded, and strode over to a table in the corner next to the window. You furrowed your brows. Usually the tattooed drummer was quiet but cheerful, and always up for a little chat. Today seemed different though, and remembering that it was not the normal Christmas Eve tradition to go to a coffee shop, mind on your own, made you understand him better. After all you had not been in the best of moods either before he entered. And you could not expect to have the same effect on him as he had on you, considering you had grown quite fond of the man.

You prepared two cups of cappuccino with almond milk, one for him, one for you, and emptied a bag of vegan Christmas cookies that were on sale, onto a small plate before stepping out from behind the counter, and strode over to him.

Andy looked up, his gaze softening as he saw you, and even a smile tucking at his lips when you sat down opposite him. You pushed his cup over to him, and placed the plate with the cookies in the middle between the two of you.

"On the house," you winked, making him finally smile properly.

The coffee shop was dimly lit, mostly relying on the many candles that were spread over the tables and the atmospheric lighting across the counter.

"Sooo..." you dragged out the word, looking at Andy who took a sip from his coffee, "what brings you here?"

He sighed quietly and shrugged.

"Family dinner spontaneously got canceled because my dad broke his ankle, and I got nowhere to be really," he answered.

"So you decide to go to a coffee shop of all places," you asked, raising your eyebrows at him.

"I was lonely," he defended, "and I was kind of hoping you would be the cursed one to do this shift."

You smiled at his confession which had made him look away in embarrassment.

"Since I got no Christmas party to attend to either, and sitting here with you is a lot better than sitting at home on my own, I doubt this shift is really cursed," you joked, before quickly taking a sip of your hot beverage as well, hoping to play over the fact that you had been a lot more confident with your words than you felt. It had not been a lie, no, not at all, but usually you were not one to say these things out loud.