Frank Iero x Reader - Stargazing

Requested on Tumblr
Word
count: 2 393

You clearly remembered the first time you met Frank. The seat next his was the only free one in the science class. You remembered being shy and slightly scared of the boy with the fauxhawk and piercings. He had absentmindedly chewed on his lip ring and fiddled around with the hem of his patches covered jacket. You had sat as far away from him as possible, always making sure there was a safe distance between your books and his side of the table. Something about him triggered an alarm inside you, telling you he was dangerous. You had almost gotten a heart attack, when suddenly you felt someone breathing against your ear and quietly, in a soft voice, ask for the answer on one of the exercises. You had pointed the answer out on your worksheet and shyly turned your head over at Frank, who had sat back in his chair as if nothing had happened. His eyes had followed your movement and he nodded, sending you a bright, happy smile that seemed not to fit his appearance at all. That was the first time you met Frank.

Now, almost two years later, you could only laugh about remembering how intimidated you had been by him at first. A few weeks after your first conversation he had cut his hair really short, and now it was growing out into a mop of black curls, giving his otherwise typically punky appearance a hint of carelessness. You liked it. His hair was really soft. He also had stopped wearing his piercings, but to make up for it, his comments were as sassy and rebellious as ever.

Right now you were sitting in the schools playground on the grass under a tree. His one arm was loosely draped around your shoulders, with the other one he waved around, underlining his words every other time. You were listening to his plans for the weekend. He had promised to take you outside the city this weekend to watch the stars when he had found out that you had never done that.

'As long as you don't have a boyfriend who can do that with you, it's a best friend job,' he had declared.

Yes, two years after this awkward first encounter Frank was your best friend. You spent a majority of your time with him. He always had some stupid ideas he wanted to try out and he had gotten both of you into trouble, more than once. But he was a sweet person, caring and loving. He was the best audience when you felt conflicted about something, and once he had started opening up about his own problems to you, you also understood why. He was incredibly sensible, easily disturbed and hurt by the merciless world, but he hid his vulnerability under a mask of rebellion and confidence. Once you got to see through that mask though, he was soft and calm, easily excited about things that interested him, and just wanted to be a happy cheerful person. Around you he got to be that.

Now he was making a list of things he wanted you to bring to your stargazing, like a warm jacket in case you got cold and some mosquito repellent. You nodded, wondering if he had done that before, told someone what to bring to a night of stargazing. Maybe some girl he liked or some sweet boy whose sympathy he tried to win. You did not ask. As far as you knew Frank had not much experience with relationships, and if you were a little honest with yourself: you hated the idea of someone apart from you being so close to him.

~*~

Frank and you had decided that you would have a sleepover at his place, so that was what you told your parents when you asked for their permission to stay away overnight. They knew Frank and even though you had been worried about their reaction before they met him, they had liked him immediately. You mum always said he had something 'honest' about himself. You were not sure if you knew what she meant by that, but you were happy she liked him. It was not the first time you had a sleepover at Frank's and he had been staying overnight in your room countless times before, so of course your parents were completely fine with you spending the night at Frank's home.

You threw your bag into the backseat of Frank's car as he came to pick you up. He hugged you when you climbed into the passenger seat, just like he always did, and waited until you were buckled in before he started driving.