Ray Toro x Reader - Broken Up

Requested on Tumblr
Word
count: 2 356

You really did not want to go to this 'party'. It was no party in the sense of loud music and getting drunk, it was a party where you had elegant snacks and champagne and talked civilly to people you had never met before. You always hated these social events, where you had to pretend to be actually interested in things you would rather not hear about ever again, but your best friend had invited you and they had organized this party, so you could not say no.

Maybe the real reason for your hesitation to turn up was and entirely different one. You knew he would be there.

You had not talked to him in almost a month now, neither had you seen him or texted him. But that did not mean that he was not constantly on your mind. You could hardly get through ten minutes without thinking about him at least once. And this last month had probably been the worst in your life.

It had been a long relationship, a steady one, as you had always believed. You had met Ray for the first time while you were working in a music store. He had been a regular visitor, often spending hours just looking around. After a while he started talking to you, and then he invited you for coffee after your shift was over. You went out more often after that, and about a month later you started dating.

You were still not sure how it had ended so quickly, why it had ended. After almost two years of harmony, happiness and love, everything had blown up one evening. Had it been because of his band, because he was rarely home? Had it been because your shifts were at the weirdest times, making it almost impossible for the two of you to spend some time together? Had it been because you liked sleeping with an opened window, and he liked it closed? Had it been because secretly he had been hurt that your parents did not like him? Looking back at it now, it seemed like all these problems were easy to solve, especially because your boss had suddenly given you different shifts, but at that point it was already too late.

It had been almost eleven pm on a warm August night, when Ray had stormed out of your shared apartment, face angry and red, tears swimming in his eyes. You had broken down on the living room floor, crying your eyes out for hours. You were hurt and it was even worse because you knew he was too. You had expected him to come back, be it only to pick some of his stuff up, or to tell you that it was over, but he didn't. One day you came home from work and most of his clothes and all of his instruments were gone. No note, no letter, no message, nothing.

It was painful to even walk by the apartment building, because too many memories were stirred up, memories of the two of you climbing out of a taxi, late at night, after a date at the cinema, your lips meeting the moment you were standing, memories of quickly shared kisses when one of you left the house, memories of 'good bye's and 'I love you's.

It had been one month since the fight, one moth since what you assumed had been a break up. And you would see him tonight.

You took a deep breath and stared into your reflection in the mirror. The button-up shirt nicely hugged your waist and the trousers perfectly matched your shoes. You were ready to go.

~*~

A big crowd had already gathered at the hall, where the party was taking place. You took a glass of the Champagne that got offered to you by a cute waitress, and strode into the room, pretending to be more self-confident than you really were. Your eyes searched the people for your best friend, wanting to say hello, but instead they found a pair of big, brown ones. Ray's eyes widened a little when he saw you, but you quickly turned away. You would do anything in your power to avoid interaction with him. Yes, it bugged you not knowing where you were standing, were you on a break, were you broken up? But you knew you would probably break into tears the moment he tried to talk to you, so you quickly walked into the other direction, hoping to find someone to involve into any kind of conversation.