Advent Calendar - Dec 17

*Picture Source: http://foreverlostinliterature.tumblr.com/post/171122599776*

Prompt from @/fanficy-prompts on Tumblr
Words: 1 816
A/N
: Lord of the Rings and Alan Lee's art are just perfect, I'm not even sorry. If you don't know what I'm talking about:

Carefully you picked up the heavy book, gently running your fingers over the cover

Carefully you picked up the heavy book, gently running your fingers over the cover. It was a copy of the first Lord of the Rings book, one with breathtakingly beautiful art by Alan Lee. The cover was mostly destroyed even though the book could not be very old, and some of the pages were ripped.

"How much is this," you asked the man who watched over the rummage sale.

He threw a look at the book in your hand before he answered.

"Fifty for all four," the spit, pointing at the copies of the second, and third book, as well as the Hobbit.

Fifty dollars was a lot of money. You quickly did the math in your head, estimating how much the grocery shopping and the present for your mother would coast before your next pay check came in. Fifty dollars was too much.

"And just this one," you held the book up again, hoping to at least get one of the beautiful copies.

"All or none, that's the deal," the man grumbled, "if you can't afford 'em, leave 'em."

Usually you would have felt bad for being talked to as if you had just asked the rudest question in the world, but your heart was too busy breaking a little over not being able to get these magnificent books. Slowly you placed the book back into the box, and turned away, immediately running into a tall man who you recognized as your neighbor Ryan.

Ryan and you got along pretty well, and admittedly, you had somewhat a crush on the dark haired, doe eyed musician.

"Hey," he greeted, a smile spreading over his face, as he recognized you, "treasure hunting?"

You nodded, trying to ignore the nagging feeling of guilt for not buying these books.

"Not very successfully though," you admitted, tearing your thoughts away from the destroyed covers, and to Ryan, the black coat that nicely hugged his frame, and the gray scarf that was loosely wrapped around his neck.

"Me too," he answered shrugging, "Maybe next time."

You nodded with a smile, when you suddenly felt your phone vibrating. Ryan seemed to notice at the way your hand flinched to your pocket, but did not get the phone out, that you should take the call. He smiled understandingly.

"Take that call, see you around another time," he waved.

You waved back as he walked past you, and you quickly picked up the call.

~*~

It was ridiculous, you told yourself, but you could not shake of the feeling of guilt that had settled in your stomach since you had left the rummage sale. It was dark outside by now, a few clouds hid the stars from your view as you made a decision. Quickly you pulled on your coat and some shoes, before running out of the house, down the street into the direction of there the sale had been.