Andy Hurley x Reader - 'Fake' Date

Requested on Tumblr
Warnings
: some being hit on by an asshole
Word
count: 3 084

"It's an emergency!"

You had barely picked up the phone, when your friend Andy shared this obviously important message with you. Immediately you were on high alert, making your way to the hallway to put on shoes and grab the car keys so you could get to him as fast as possible.

"Calm down, what happened, where are you," you tried to ask as calmly as possible while slipping into your shoes.

"I need a date," he answered.

"What?" You stopped mid-motion and dropped your free hand to your side.

"I need a date for this award show tomorrow and-"

"No one's dying," you made sure, having been prepared for the worst.

"No, why... why should anyone be dying," Andy was at least as confused as you.

"You said it was an emergency," you answered, slowly getting out of your shoes again.

"Yeah, well, you see," suddenly he was stuttering. "We have this award show tomorrow and Pete just called me, telling me we are all required to bring a date."

"Oh," you mumbled, not sure yet where this conversation was going.

"Now you see, Pete and Joe and Patrick all are married and now I am left alone..."

"Oh man," you sighed. "I know what you mean... let me think... I could call Jessica. You know Jessica, right? I'm sure she'd accompany you tomorrow. Or Lisa? She's a cute girl, you'd look great together."

"Wait, what are you-" Andy still seemed really confused. "No, I actually wanted to ask if you will go there with me."

"Me?"

For the second time within a minute you stopped dead in your tracks. Your glance wandered to the mirror you were standing in front of. Disheveled hair, dark circles under your eyes from not enough sleep, baggy sweatpants and an oversized shirt.

"I don't know if that's a good idea," you answered slowly.

"I mean, not as a real date, more like a... pretend date? Like we pretend to be together but it's no real date," Andy tried to explain, having misunderstood you.

It hurt a little, the way he was suggesting to take you there as a fake date, like it was so impossible to ever date you. On the other hand, maybe it was. He was a successful, handsome musician while you stood here in front of your mirror with greasy hair, smelling off the lasagna you had just eaten. And he was so much better than you in basically everything he did, so much kinder, more gentle, more patient, smarter... the list went on and on, so you could hardly be blamed for the tiny crush you had developed for your friend over time... yeah 'tiny'.

"I mean, I'd love to go and fool the media," you answered hesitant. "But don't you want to go with someone who has more... optical appeal?"

"But I want to go with you and hey! you do have tons of optical appeal," he protested.

"You should see me right now," you chuckled, finally looking away from your reflection.

"Do you think I look attractive right now," Andy asked laughing. "I am sweaty and stinky from the gym!"

"Uh, sexy," you joked, making him laugh even harder.

"I'll make sure to work out the next time before I see you, so you can get a deliciously sweaty hug. Yum yum yum," he giggled.