Andy Hurley x Reader - Self-Determination

Requested on Tumblr
Warnings: fight with parents
Word
count: 1 854

"You aren't – no - hey, you aren't even listening!"

You were so angry, so angry that your voice almost broke. You wanted to scream and shout and tell your parents who wrong they were, that they knew nothing about the people you were surrounding yourself with.

"He is bad influence, (y/n)," your mother said, her voice forced to stay quiet, "We told you before."

"You're telling me things based on assumption-"

"He is a drunk-"

"He doesn't dri-"

"takes drugs-"

"he has never taken-"

"and all these tattooes!"

"Dad has tattoos!"

"Don't you speak up against your mother like that," your dad boomed.

Hot, angry tears shot to your eyes.

"You can't tell me who I can see," you screamed.

It was not the first time you had this discussion, but it felt different this time. Your parents had been so happy for you, when you told them you had a boyfriend, a guy from your college class. His name was Andy and after having been in love with him for ages, you were more than excited when he had asked you out. It did not take long for the both of you to realize that what you had was more than the average college relationship. It was a tension between the two of you that drew you together. It was the way you knew what the other one was thinking, how you could perfectly read each other. It was more than a romantic relationship, Andy had become your best friend over time, and you his. You had taken things slowly, given each other time to get used to this new development in your lives, and if anything, it had strengthened your relationship, which proved valuable when your parents met him for the first time.

You did not know what they had expected, but it was obvious, that Andy, with his long hair, his tattoos and straight edge attitude did not fit their expectations at all. After what must have been the most awkward family dinner ever, your parents told you to break things up with him. You had refused for a good week, until you had not been able to stand the psycho terror anymore and had told Andy. He immediately found a solution, and a few hours later, your parents and the whole neighborhood witnessed the most impressive 'I knew you were bad for me, my parents were right all along, you cheated on me the whole time'- fight the city had ever seen. Your mother had consoled you for hours, while you were crying your eyes out on the couch in the living room, trying not to laugh because you would have never believed that the fake fight Andy and you had prepared was so convincing. Even a few neighbors asked you if you were alright the days afterwards.

You continued seeing Andy in secret, during lectures and breaks and at parties. You were careful, you did not even tell your friends about it, since you were scared they might let something slip, and you made up boring conversations that you noted down in your diary, not sure if your mother was reading it. What you did not think about, were the conversations you were having with Andy over Apps on your phone. You had changed his name to Christine, not even added an emoji, and since you carried your phone with you all the time you had believed it was safe. But when you had been to the bathroom to take a shower just a few minutes ago, your mother had had the impudence to sneak into your room and check the phone. Of course it was locked, but the most recent message by Andy that had just come in, gave everything away, leading to the fight you were having with your parents now.

"I'm over eighteen, what do you want to do? It's not illegal," you tried to convince your parents. They did not have to like Andy, they should only accept that what you had was special.