Part 23 Warmth | Edited

In the Slytherin common room, Tom was reading a book. But he found himself unfocused, it's as if each written word flew in and out of his head without staying. He sighed and closed it before strolling around the dungeon floor with his arms folded behind his back. For some reason, he could only think about the most recent event.

Tom's pov

"What's the problem. Countless of meaningless pests have been trying to encircle me and all of sudden this one slips through my fingers? How am I unable to stop thinking about it. And that silly brain of an excuse of a dog is nagging me over her."

Why did it feel flattering

"Hello?"

A voice - I looked over, spotting a girl from my house smile before me

"Tom, there you are" - she said "Would you like to--"

"No." - I couldn't bear having to hear the rest "Sorry." I don't care about what she wants, why would I. She has nothing I need nor want and I will not be wasting my time on her.

Reader's second POV

At the main hall, students were learning how to cast patronuses after hearing a whole lecture about dementors and their terrifying impact. Every person should have a light to their dark.

You noticed that half or so of the people around you had successfully and proudly summoned their patronuses. There were a few grey horses galloping across the room, some rabbits hopping around the pillars, a parrot flying below the ceiling, a salmon wiggling in the air, and many more. The light from this spell would be born and, however, quickly die.

"As long as the happy memory lasts" - the professor yelled "The patronus will protect you"

You were exhausted after unsuccessfully, repeatedly flicking your wand. You've never learnt this spell before for very personal reasons.

The whole room echoed with voices shouting 'Expecto Patronum' at similar times.

After a few attempts, with the help of Severus, Lily managed to cast one - a bright, beautiful doe, hopping around the room. She giggled happily. And Snape looked delighted to watch her succeed.

Then you noticed Tom seated down on one of the empty benches with his head resting on his right hand. He was very faintly swirling around his wand but not saying any incantations as if he was just playing around - it was clear he wasn't trying - he gave up - he couldn't do it. And this was one of his weaknesses - he had a hard time escaping a ball of bleakness.

Whilst, still at the front of the hall, the professor kept motivating students "Think greatest thoughts. This magical guardian will protect you in times of need -- very good Miss. Hornby" - the professor said "It is difficult but you all can do it - any one of you. You will never know the shape of your patronus until you succeed in conjuring it! -- Ah, Miss Warren, you need more energy!"

The question was. What was your happiest memory?

"This is some next level shit" - one of the boys from Gryffindor joked around as his buddies giggled watching him equally struggle.

"Language, Mr. Farron! It is very advanced, ancient magic!" - the professor shouted

You gathered that much by now. No matter how much you tried, you could not summon the spontaneous, silver mist.

You sighed and walked over to seated alone Tom. His green eyes immediately lifted as he watched you sit down beside him.

"Can't do it either?" - you asked, slightly smiling