Part 39 A Monster.

The next day, late in the afternoon, while looking for Tom to return his diary, you discovered him seated just outside of Hogwarts, gazing at the distant shrieking shack, where nobody would bother him. He had his arms crossed on top of his bent knees.

He seemed to have been mid a peaceful moment until you approached.

You stretched out his diary to him "Just thought I'd return this"

Immediately, he accepted it "So you've read it?"

You sat down on the grass next to him "I did. And there's genuinely worrying thoughts written on there and yet... nothing I wouldn't expect from you."

He seemed a bit surprised and a little insulted "Really? So curse practising and forbidden potion brewing was what you expected?"

"Just about, yes"

"And it does not frighten you?"

"In worst case scenario I might try to take you down" - you nudged his elbow with yours.

"Foolish confidence."

"Just learning from the best" - you winked. His lip twitched as if he wanted to grin. You lowered your hand on top of his shoulder "I just do not see you as that intimidating. Or I'm just not that afraid." - not to mention the fact you didn't have a choice.

Without saying anything, he slithered his wrist up to your hand and tucked it underneath your palm before locking fingers with you "Come." - he stood up, helping you up as well.

He led you towards the forbidden forest.

"Where are you taking me?"

"Stay patient. You will see."

After squeezing through old bushes and ancient trees that would hide in shadows, he finally stopped at one place that looked dreamy.

There was a massive pond filled with pure, crystal clear water that reflected the blooming, green nature. There were a few duck families swimming across the pond but at the sight of you incoming, they immediately swam the other direction.

Satisfied with the dazzled look on your face, Tom finally let go of your hand as he stepped closer to the purified water.

"Hey" - you stopped him in place for a second "I thought demons don't like holy water"

"Charming." - he stepped just inside the water that would gently spiral around his ankles. He bent towards the fleeing ducks who had stopped and observed Riddles' gestures. You were amazed to see a baby duck jump into his palms. With a wide grin on his face, he returned back to you.

"Aww" - you smiled at the sight "Look at that baby duck!" - but before you could pet it, Tom slapped your hand away

"It's outstanding isn't it? How something can simply stun with looks but be completely empty on the inside." - he gently stroked its tiny fur

"Are we speaking of ourselves?"

He replied in sharp, blunt tone "I can make it hurt."

"Oh. No. You won't. I won't let you, that's animal cruelty."

"It's no equal to a human which proves its lack of utility."

"That's no excuse..." - you did not want to see that poor bird get hurt

"This is why I brought you here. To teach you the cruel reality of life." - suddenly, he took out his wand, pointed it at the innocent animal resting inside his hand and uttered out of his mouth "Crucio!" - the small bowl of fluff began to twitch as if insane, screeching and crying for mercy with its own little voice.

"Stop it!" - you slapped the bird out of his hand and watched it desperately limp towards its family inside the pond

"You're weak" - Tom frowned "Your family can be snapped just the same if you are not prepared."

"Are you trying to tell me something?"

Suddenly, Riddle raised his voice "Weakness and love is what will get the ones you are trying to protect dead!" - he lowered his wand "You're too sentimental! Too caring! You need to start thinking more about yourself than others!" - with one step closer he frowned "When will you ever realize that all this time all I tried to do was to get rid of you. Yet no matter how much I attempt to frigthen you away you just refuse to leave." - his lip curled as if he was mocking you "I'm a monster. But you are just as bad. You remaining by my side like some desperate animal shows this. The sooner you will realize the better. Simply leave me alone. From now on forever. I do not desire you or your soppiness."
He turned away, his back now facing you "Leave." - his voice cracked

You stood silent and stiff, still processing his words.

"No, I won't." - you grabbed his shoulder, then leaned in and your lips touched soon enough, warmly and softy as you gave him a tender kiss. Instead of pushing you, he pulled you in, closer to his racing heart.

When those seconds of the faint kiss ended, you pulled away from each other.

He gazed into your eyes, with perplexion inside his own; and whispered "I am not sure what's happening to me."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out." - you gave him a soft peck on his forehead, imprinting yourself on him as if marking the cursed lord as your own.