Part 33 Lifeless

Every pupil taken shelter inside Hogwarts grounds has been watching the flashing lightning outside the windows. Oddly, nobody got hurt and some have come to a conclusion that it was just an act to scare them. The teachers have been informed about the entities that attacked the students and rushed out into the fight. After approximately five minutes of flashing and thundering, it all suddenly stopped and the teachers came back safe and sound.

Dumbledore landed first and looked at the intensely observing, curious students "Don't you have lessons to attend to?" - he shouted, dismissing the tense air

"We would if there would be teachers for lessons to teach" - James laughed

"You think this is funny, Mr. Potter?" - Dumbledore frowned

Seeing his serious face James gulped "No, sir."

Albus shifted his eyes to the whole of the crowd surrounding him "Hogwarts is being threatened. It shall be under a lockdown, no one in or out until Christmas"

Students awe'd at Dumbledore's last words before he headed back to his office. Soon after, the school rumbled with rumours about the threat led by the sounds of closing and locking down heavy doors and windows.

Later that day you and Lily headed to the library when you had free time. Unfortunately, the only two available seats left were on the four seat table with Tom and Avery already sat down.
What a coincidence. But you knew this was because students felt intimidated by the duo.

Seeing this, Lily paused for a minute "Nope." - she saw the calmly seated Riddle and was about to turn around but you grabbed her hand

"Don't leave me alone" - you begged her

She sighed "Fine. But you owe me a pumpkin pie"

"Deal." - you shook her hand

"I should really learn how to bargain more" - she whispered to herself.

Without saying anything to them, the two of you took the last seats right in front of the two Slytherin boys. Tom glanced up and down twice before seeing you and Lily. He was clearly very unhappy about Lily, sneering at her presence.

Awkwardly, you smiled before sitting at the table. There was strong tension when Tom fixed a threatening gaze at Lily, he was just staring in silence. It got even more uncomfortable when from the corner of your eye you noticed Avery giving you the same look.

"I apologise for staring." - Tom broke the silence "But I do not usually sit with mudbloods unless necessary" - he frowned as he closed his book

Tom got off his seat and started walking away but your voice stopped him "Wait! don't." He stood still and turned around. His eyes seemed to soften when he glanced at you but then he glared at Lily then back at you.

"Just let him leave if he wants to" - Lily scowled at you

"No, just..." - you sighed as you looked into Toms' eyes "For me? Please? Shall we be civil?"

He paused for a few seconds then sighed and sat back down in silence, opened his book on DADA and quietly began to read it.

But Lily wasn't very happy "Seriously? I see where your loyalty stands." - she stormed off her seat then quickly left before you could even say a word.

Tom was smirking at the sight of the ginger leaving until he noticed the spiteful glare Avery was giving you "Stop looking at her that way."

Avery frowned at Riddle "You're defending her? Why don't you invite her to join the club then." - He, too, stormed off his seat, leaving you and Tom alone on the table.

"Well then..." - you smiled at Tom "Guess it's just us two"

He gave you a short, fake smile "It's better that way."

You noticed a slight cut on his right wrist that looked as if it bled recently "What's that?"

"A wound?"

"Well I know that, I meant how did you get it?"

"It's a simple cut, no big deal."

"No, no, no, I won't accept it, let me look at it." - You stood up and walked to the other side of the table where there was an empty chair which Avery was seated on before he left, next to Tom.

You slightly startled him when you sat down and swiftly but gently grabbed his wrist then started inspecting the wound.

Trying to avoid your touch, Tom spoke "I am sure I'll survive."

"Well it's very hard to tell" - you joked around "It might be fatal" - you glanced up into Toms' softened eyes. "All jokes aside, you need something to treat it."

"I'm fi---"

"Shush" - you cut him off "I can easily treat this myself, at least disinfect it."

He didn't respond, just watched you in silence continuously inspect it. Softly, you lifted up his arm and devishly kissed around the cut, startling Tom who was stunned at the act.

You grabbed his hand in yours and got up, forcing him to get up with you. He remained quiet when you led him towards the exit of the library to treat the wound.

However, before you could leave, a local Ravenclaw female student, pale with messy hair, and who was short of breath after obvious sprinting, had interrupted the casual silence in the room "A BODY IN THE HALLWAY!!!"

When she rushed back out, she was accompanied by a very large crowd behind her as every single student who has been studying decided to drop what they were doing just to see what's going on. Along with the flow of the crowd you came along, dropping Toms' hand and rushing after the girl.

The Ravenclaw girl stopped running after some time and looked down on the wet floor of the hall.

Lifeless, looking as if all her blood had been drained out of her, laid silently on the cold ground Lily. Her hair was wet from the floor, her lips were colourless, eyes wide open as if she's seen something horrific before she collapsed, and her skin looked to be made out of stone - pale and stiff.

On the wall next to her lifeless body the words "Beware Mudbloods", written in thick, fresh blood flashed the horrified students and teachers who'd been shooing the students away from the scenery.

You felt your heart drop at the sight of this. A massive rush of anxiety hit through your heart. With soft tears in your eyes about to roll, you saw Toms' back as he was leaving the scenario sooner than anyone else. You clenched your fists and followed.