Part 47 Bloodlust

"Xenophilius" - you rushed down and kneeled in front of him, tenderly resting your hand on his shoulder "What happened?"

Tom was quietly staring at the blonde man without any sympathy whatsoever, in fact he appeared to be disgusted by his presence.

Lovegood caught a few breaths "Slytherins did not like my victory. Especially Avery" - he cried out "If they were to find out I told anyone, they threatened to give far worse than this"

"You must tell the headmaster" - you brushed blood off his cheek "He'll be dealt with" - your words showed no signs, however, of how furious you were with the slytherin boy. It's been multiple situations where you two clashed. Just thinking about him made you bitter.

"No!" Xenophilius insisted, lifting his hand as an objection of fear "It won't help"

You turned back at Tom "Would you please put your pet back on the leash?"

"Certainly" - he tucked away his wand and folded his arms behind his back before leaving you alone with Lovegood.

You helped Xenophilius up, draping his arm over your shoulder for support.

You delivered him to Lily and made her swear not to tell anyone. After a bit of pursuation, she agreed.

Driven by desire to get to the bottom of it, you headed to find Avery. As you walked past the main block, however, you got distracted by a commotion outside, in the yard. Curious, you approached it, trailing large crowds encircling something.

Within the circle, Tom riddle was holding Avery by his shirt "Disobedient one." - bitter, Riddle whispered to the boy. You could see Avery turn utterly petrified.
The surrounding crowd were all wondering as to why this was happening no doubt, they did not expect their prefect student to get involved into any sort of reputation damaging drama.

Avery gulped "No, I--, I--" - he was afraid of spitting out words in case they wouldn't please Riddle

"What did I say..." - Tom frowned as his grip onto Avery's shirt tightened "You dishonour everyone" - yet barely anyone could hear what they were saying as Riddle was almost mumbling.

As if Avery's fear disappeared, he managed to yank off Tom's arms then he drew out his wand with a quaking hand. Riddle smirked at the sight, finding it very entertaining. He felt petty for him.

Avery's eyes jumped around from face to face before spotting yours among the crowd as he gazed back at Riddle "You cannot lead us anymore. Yanking around that tramp" - with his chin, Avery nodded towards you ane Tom's smirk dissappeared.

Riddle took out his wand without hesitation, standing in a posture ready for a duel. The crowd gasped, backing away, giving more space to the pair.
In fear, Avery's hand shook as he awaited the battle to begin.

"You shall speak nothing." - Tom sneered

Was Riddle protecting your honor? The thought of it sent flutters.

As the clash of the two minds was about to begin, three different teachers pushed themselves through the crowd and ordered everyone to go back to classes.

Professor of history of magic, aware of your friendship, asked you to lead Tom away from a potential fight.
With a little push, you grabbed his hand and pulled him away from the middle.
"Come on.." - you told him

You could see Avery relieved, watching it all get averted.

********

You and Tom were alone, standing by the fireplace in the main room of Gryffindor house.
As you chatted, Riddle sat down then pulled out his diary from one of his inside coat pockets and just started writing in it.

"You're going to kick him out of the club?" - bystanding, you asked

Tom lifted his eyes and smirked "Worse."

"Worse?" - his response worried you "What do you mean worse?"

"Nothing for you to be concerned about."

"Whenever someone says that, the opposite happens.. What's on your mind?"

"You shall see. Patience is a virtue." - he proceeded to write in the journal.

Intrigued, you peeked a glance at the pages and noticed certain concerning words written down. A false memory curse seemed to be one of the favorites of his.

"Tom" - you addressed him softly "You won't kill him, right?"

He looked at you confused, as if what you asked him was over the top "There will be consequences. But not of murder."

Ok. So he wasn't going to kill the man - you thought to yourself. But how trustworthy was it?

"Would you tell me about the punishment?"

With obvious annoyance, Tom closed his book and frowned "Why such impatience. Do you not trust me?"

"Uh... Well..." - you smiled at him, awkwardly. But it did not loosen his stiff expression.

*********

Later, outside Hogwarts, you and Riddle followed Avery's trail out of the school grounds where Riddle discovered all of the slug club's boys gather around with Avery in the middle.

Tom was informed by one of the members of a possible betrayal by Avery. To which, Riddle didn't take a heart to.

Further down the grounds, Tom followed and disarmed the boy.

Avery planned on turning everyone against their leader and re-pick a new one.

Little did he know that Tom was a respected alpha of the pack.

"They never learn" - Riddle sighed, before casting a spell on Avery, knocking him off balance. Tom glanced around his members "Leave." - they all glanced at one another before exiting. "What a silly boy you are, Avery." - Riddle's arm lifted, as a forbidden curse escaped his lips - the boy fell and twitched.

"That's enough, Tom" - seeing how long this was lasting, you wanted to stop him, even if Avery deserved it. But Riddle ignored you, fulfilling the longing for blood.

Untill he suddenly stopped on his own "I will not kill you, Avery" - he whispered as he crouched in front of the boy's paralyzed face "No..." - Riddle flashed a mischievous smile "Something much worse shall I say?"

"Absolutely nothing is what you will do" - you intervened, rushing in between them.

"You desire this." - Riddle claimed

"I just think this is too much. Not allowed either"

"But it just feels good, doesn't it?" - Marvolo deviously scowled "The fear one may grant"

"Hey." - you grabbed his arm, wanting to change his mind "please."

As he considered it for a few seconds, a green flash bolted at Avery, his body spun around as he dropped cold dead.

A fate decided by not Tom nor you.