Part 59 Means of A Ring

"I'm sorry, Sirius..." - you pulled out your wand, standing up from the bed "But I must... for the sake of it all" - you pointed it at him, making him stand back in shock and confusion "Obliviate!" - you watched his eyes lose the most recent memories. The only thing he shan't remember was this night.

As guilty as you felt, this had to be done.

The following morning you woke up with a pain in your chest from the anxiety. It was overflowing, leaving you breaking on the inside. You knew you should tell Sirius but you could not, you erased his memory for important reasons.

You sat up, scratching your finger that had Gaunt's ring on it. You glanced at it for a second, inspecting it, noticing a red mark at the place of the circle. Oh no. It appeared to turn darker.

Then you looked at the engagement ring on your other hand, it was now just a symbol for the betrayal that you've caused. 

However, you knew what to do. You could not leave him seeking for false hope in love.

You left your room and squeezed through the half-open office door, spotting a man with curly shoulder length hair smile at the sight of your entrance.

"Ah! My love!" - Sirius jumped off his seat, rushing towards you "You're awake" - he gave you a brief hug and kissed your forehead "Did you rest well, my darling?"

What a sudden rush of Deja Vu.

"Yes." - you lowered your gaze, trying to divert his eyes out of guilt

"Happy to hear." - forgotten all the horrors of yesterday, he smiled as much as he did when he first fell for you. "Shall we start making guest preparations then?" - he chuckled "You may have more guests if that's what you wish, beautiful"

"About that.... We need to talk, Sirius." - you saw his face darken, his grin overshadowed by concern, he no longer appeared elated.

"You may tell me anything" - he gently grabbed your hand

"Sirius... I...." - you glanced at his face, his eyes were so full of hope, filled with pools of helpless love. Which made it worse. Carefully, you stroked his cheek with your thumb, feeling your touch, Sirius kissed that hand before placing his palm on it. "Sirius.." - you withdrew your hand "You are the best man a woman could ever ask for. And I am sure one day you will find the one just as wonderful as you."

"<y/n>..." - He looked as if he just got struck by lightning again, predicting what you're about to say "What are you..."

"I'm sorry, Sirius...." - you glanced down at your engagement ring, slowly pulling it off your finger "But I can not marry you anymore." - delicately, you opened up his palm and placed the ring on it before closing all his fingers as tight as a lock, leaving him clenching it.

Sirius just stood still. He looked broken but was too upset to say a word. He now had to bear the burden of a heartbreak once more. It was like he clenched a piece of his soul that he trusted you to keep; yet you gave it back.

Seconds just after you left the room you could hear a scream followed by a smash of glass coming from his office.

It was best to leave him alone.

That evening, when it was not dark nor bright and the weather was not cold nor warm, you decided to purchase a few things from Diagon Alley.

But when you got there, it was no longer a lively street with shimmering windows and welcoming stalls. Instead, it was almost empty and dull with barely any shops still open. The path beneath the feet was filthy, completely demolished by spells as if there had been a hurricane.

You glanced at the 'wanted' poster of Mortier on the outskirts of a pub called leaky cauldron. Then noticed most of the windows around the pub had been nailed shut tight. Citizens were cowering inside their homes during these times of war.

A figure skip jumped out of an alleyway and into the open area outside the houses. You've recognized her black attire. Her crazy, bushy, black hair and that psychotic laugh.

She turned her head to the left, and caught your glimpse. With a lot of confidence, she approached you "My, my, what do we have here" - she chuckled "Are you lost, girlie?" - she laughed in an unsettling manner, almost spitting on your face

You scowled "What a lovely evening for a walk, ain't that right, Bellatrix?"

She sneered before switching back to her psychotic smile, brushing your hair with her index finger "How's Lupin?" - she winked "Still intact? I'm sure you're taking good care of my cousin as well"

"They're both fine." - you flashed her a fake smile, trying to ignore her mockery.

"You must be so happy" - she whispered, slowly circling around you "That the dark lord ordered not to touch you. Or else you'd be already feasting with the rats, you whore"

A man's chilling voice froze Bella in place as it called out her name "Bellatrix."

She turned around to see Riddle in his usual black coat and two other male death eaters standing beside him. Instantly, she dropped her head low "My lord."

His eyes jumped from you to her "Come. We must leave."

"Yes, my lord." - she shot you one last gaze before teleporting out of the area, along with Tom and the rest of the death eaters.

You felt a sharp pain on your finger. You glanced down at it, noticing the red infection spread, turning almost black. You couldn't ignore the fact anymore, the gaunt's ring that Riddle gave - it was killing you.