Part 88 Troubled

The irritating sensation - there it was - a fresh dark mark left on your forearm, oddly itchy on your skin.

"Do not scratch" - Snape said, looking at the new tattoo "It will hurt more"

The mark meant that Riddle was now able to summon you whenever he'd desire and if you'd resist - the mark would leave a burning pain until you'd attend. At the moment, the mark was in a healing process. It's like your own flesh was fighting it.

"You should feel honored you're branded with the mark" - from aside observing, Bellatrix added

"Yet somehow I feel filthy" 

"Ungrateful girl" - she sneered

"Would you mind leaving us alone, Lestrange?" - Snape peered into her eyes

She moved aside from the wall, giving him a spiteful glare. She paused in doubt before walking out of the room.

When you were alone, Snape proceeded to take care of your arm. He clenched onto it, giving his full focus "How is she." - he suddenly said

"Huh?" - your eyes jumped up at him but his were concentrating towards your skin

"Lily."

"Oh. Lily is doing good I think, I haven't seen her since I got pulled out of her wedd--" - realizing you were about to let a word slip about her marriage, you stopped.

"That's fine. I already knew about the wedding" - he replied, his eyes still piercing down "I haven't had a chance to check up on her"

"You... You talk to Lily again?"

"No."

What an awkward question. You definitely didn't want to upset him, but you could tell by the tone of his voice he was already feeling down.

"It seems to me I won't ever be able to return to the order"

Severus huffed "Be careful around the order. I've heard rumors"

"What? What rumors?"

He rolled down your sleeve, hiding the mark on your arm "They suspect you betrayed the location of the wedding"

Your eyes widened "What? What are you talking about??"

He remained calm, watching you bolt up from the seat "The dark lord sent out an ambush. I didn't know at the time. Some of the members have died"

"Heavens. I thought you'd know everything ahead, Sevy"

"Please." - he bluntly stated "Do not call me that"

Your smirk was short lived. If the order punished you for only possible deeds you have done, you didn't even want to know how much worse it could get.

And you couldn't even redeem yourself. You had the mark now. If anyone was to inspect you, you'd be punished. They could even put you under veritaserum due to precaution and suspicion.

"Do you know who actually did it?" - you asked

"No. But Bellatrix will."

"Oh." - you knew she wouldn't say a thing "What about the lord?"

"He did not give a single glimpse when he unleashed the command"

"If you weren't there. How do you know that?"

"I only heard stories after."

You trekked back and forth, biting onto your lip "That's not good, that's not good... Do they think I'm a fully devoted death eater then?" - you were speaking to yourself out loud, trying to grasp your head around it

"I will leave you to it." - Severus stood up, giving you a last glance before exiting.

You had to gather your senses, try to think of an upcoming move. How were you going to live your life now, what will you do? You definitely still had a big part to play at the war and there was a big one coming. The final one between the order and death eaters.

If you don't act right, Lily will die.

"Troubled?"

You peeked over your shoulder to see Riddle enter the room.

"No" - you replied, quickly gathering back your senses. You were unable to hold eye contact. It was still painful over what he told you about the child

"May I?" - he stretched out his hand, glancing at the tattoo, signaling for you to show it.

You hesitated but let him see it nonetheless.

"Severus has taken good care of it" - his voice was oddly soothing, he was more calm than usual. However, when his eyes met yours, his face turned stiff with sharp blankness "I can tell when you lie to me"

"What?"

"You are troubled. Is it because of my words."

You lowered your head, slowly nodding. You didn't expect him to call it out like that "Yes"

He pulled you in for another embrace, one that felt tighter than the recent ones he gave, as if it was a goodbye hug.

"Can I ask you something" - you said, leaving his grasp "Do you know who betrayed the location of the order? The event you teleported me away from.."

"I thought you left your order days behind"

"I did but..." - you were glancing around the room, finding it difficult to tell him you cared about clearing your name. All though, even if it wouldn't mean much due to your deeds, you'd at least care to let your friend know you didn't betray one of her happiest days. Knowing you were unable to reason with him, you sighed "Nevermind"

"I must ask" - his red tinted eyes glinted against the light of the room "The turner you possess. What is its purpose for you?"

Your heart shattered, a sudden strain of unsettling tingle travelled through your body as your palms grew sweaty "W-what turner?"

"The time turner" - he sharply gazed into your eyes, as if awaiting for an answer. But he could read people.
It crushed him you looked that aghast

"I-I don't know what you'r---"

"Do not lie to me." - he bitterly cut you off, his voice growing louder from the anger "I can tell when you lie"

You gulped "How-- How do you know?"

A shadow grew over his face, an indescribable hint of disgust, one you had never seen before "You. Just now" - he clenched his fists tight, desperately trying to contain the wrathful betrayal he felt.

Mortier's words were true.