Part 87 CHOOSE

"You didn't know, right?" - judging by his reaction, he didn't. But for the sake of it, you needed to get that closure.

"Of course not" - he responded, squinting his eyes, maybe this was a trick you were trying to play on him.

Nagini slithered back into the cell, this time a key trapped between its fangs. Riddle took it from its mouth and unlocked the binding chains, setting you free.

Once the weight of the metal no longer captured your wrists, you rubbed them, massaging the skin and muscles "Thank you"

Riddle didn't answer. There was still odd tension between you two as he no longer fully trusted you until he'd get his answers.

When he and his army gathered in the dungeons after freeing 'worthy' prisoners who'd join him, he halted outside of the burning mansion, glaring at you. With his signal, his followers flew out of the battlefield, still leaving the dark mark behind in all of its glory among the sky.

Down below, only you, Nagini and Riddle remained.

You took glances around you - the sprinkling fire, the corpses. As evil of a man Mortier was, you pitied what had happened. And the people who followed him - most were seeking salvation. It was hard not to feel sorry for them. 

"So what now?" - you asked him

"It is time for you to make a choice" - he bluntly stated, peering into your eyes "I offer you freedom and salvation. You must get the mark and join my army to present your loyalty." - his glare stiffened "Or burn among the weak sorcerers in the world"

"Get the mark? but.. the order.. how would I spy?"

"I have another for that. I no longer wish for your part in the order"

"Is that the only thing you care about now? what about the child?"

Riddle didn't trust your words, so obviously he'd try to divert the talk from it until it all turned clearer "That is not what I am concerned about, <y/n>"

"But it would have been your heir"

"I do not need an heir." - he spat " I'll be immortal, how foolish can you be." - his temper started to break as his eyebrows drew together "I have presented you many chances. Saved you more than you deserve. It is time you repay with loyalty"

Betray Lily, Sirius, Lupin and everyone else, for good? of course, some of them shut you in Azkaban and it was hurtful, but it has come to your realization that they did it to protect each other. You were standing, aghast. You didn't know what path to follow.

"It shouldn't be that difficult" - Riddle stated, tapping his foot

"You're beyond redemption... aren't you?" - your eyes shifted towards the ground

"Me?" - his voice shook at the words "I am the one beyond redemption? Who betrayed her filthy muggle friend by maintaining contact with their enemy. Who broke dear old Sirius' heart by helplessly following another? Who used magic against her so called precious friends to gain her own benefit? I am not the one who needs redemption. And you are done playing for both sides. Choose."

"It doesn't have to be this way" - you tried to reason with him, but he was already sharp with his words, he already made up his mind and strongly held onto it. 

In his head, Riddle couldn't secretly bear with the thoughts that you were playing him all along. He wanted more than anything was for you to choose his side in such moments for once.

"I said choose."

If you were to get the dark mark, maybe you could manage to hide it from your friends? but surely, it would put you under surveillance of Tom for 24/7. And you knew what he was like, he wouldn't let go of another betrayal.

"I-uh" - you stuttered, chocking on your own words. Your heart wanted one thing but your mind wanted another "I accept." - you lowered your gaze at the floor, unable to hold eye contact.

Shock overshadowed Riddle's face. He felt relieved you chose his side. He was glad. He trekked over to you and pulled you into a warm embrace.

But it didn't mean that what he said about losing his own child didn't hurt - he made it sound like he didn't care at all.

"Did you mean it?" - you asked, tempted to know "About your heir"

He let go of the embrace and peered into your eyes, the gaze softening in his "I do not need an heir. I'm sorry if it happened"

if

A shivering needle pierced through your heart - how could he be so oblivious and cold about a newly sparked life.