Part 40 Avoid

The very next day Tom was doing his best to avoid you everywhere: the halls, the classes, during lunch and etc. It's like he disappeared. Even best of teachers have asked you where their favourite prefect student could possibly be. Anytime you'd shrug they'd simply assume he caught a cold and let it slide.

You felt uneasy about him skipping for some reason. You didn't know where he was or what he was doing but you wanted to find out as that anxiety was eating you inside. Besides, it wasn't like him to skip classes.

Next thing you knew, a few days later, boom, Tom finally passed your shoulder but said nothing. Didn't nod, didn't smile, didn't look or anything. Just completely ghosted you as if you were nobody.

Since it was the time for potions, and he seemed to have appeared, you knew you'd have to sit next to Riddle, which you were looking forward to. The lack of Lilys' presence and Severus silence didn't make the table very fun since attempting to talk to the other two students on the table was like talking to a wall.

Sitting next to Riddle and pretending like you didn't know each other was nerve wrecking. Here and there you'd try to catch a few of his glances but he did not even look at you.

You couldn't concentrate in class at all. Every minute seemed like torture for some reason. You needed to speak to him. You wanted to.

At some point Slughorn told his students to partner up and make his stated potion. Instead of pairing up with you, Tom rushed away to Avery as if you had a disease, leaving you paired up with Severus Snape - which you didn't actually complain about, Snape was a terrific partner.

- -- ------------ --------------------------

On December 31st, aware that it was the day of the dark lord's birthday, you headed to Hogsmeade to find a perfect cupcake as a way to make amends. The best you could find was a white chocolate cupcake with blueberry frosting. Being in rush, you took it, obtained a small candle from the local village and headed back to the school.
Instead of using magic, but gathering it yourself, you thought it was a nicer gesture.

You searched everywhere for him but it was like he didn't want to be found. In one of the halls you met Severus instead. When you asked if he knew where Riddle was he narrowed his eyebrows.

"Probably something to do with dark arts in the forbidden forest." - he straight out bluntly stated

You awkwardly thanked him and rushed out of the building, taking your chance. It was already dark outside so you were hoping he'd be in the same spot he showed you all those days ago.

To your relief, you did see Toms' shadow kneeled down by the pond. With the cupcake in your hands, you placed the candle in it and lit it up with your wand, all without making a sound.

As if sensing your presence though, he stood up and turned around, only to notice your approach. He seemed only a little bit surprised.

His eyes jumped from yours to the small dessert in your hands "Muggle food?"

"Well... after... reading... your uh-ehm- you know... I found out that your birthday is on New Year's Eve so I just wanted to do something for you... Noone should spend their birthday alone. I also want to apologize at what happened. I suppose you are mad about the kiss."

Tom's lip twitched "That is kind. I appreciate the gesture. But there is nothing to celebrate about me being born. Regardless, I thank you."

"Well... Pretend you're celebrating New Year, how about that?" - you smiled "You have to make a wish though" - you stretched out the cupcake closer to his lips. Noticing his confused face, you added "It's just a tradition"

He hesitated before gently blowing out the fire on the candle "Did that please you?" - he took the snack out of your hands and placed it on top of an even surfaced log.

"You are acting a little strange."

Riddle raised his eyebrows "Strange? How?"

"Just avoiding me. Did what happen make you that uncomfortable?"

"It is best if we pretend it never happened. It was nothing else but a moment of weakness. I stand by my word, I wish to no longer hang around you."

"So that's it?" - you gazed at his emotionless face "You're dropping me because we kissed?"

He hated you saying what you did. "Not just due to that. After brainstorming I have come to a conclusion that you are just not... matching my skillset. You are heavily lifting me down."

"Since when?"

"Since always. I just wasted mine and your time to examine you better." - he didn't really even know what he wanted himself. It's like his mouth was saying one thing but his heart lowkey craved the opposite.

"Of course. Should of listened to the diary. You used me for your own examination benefits - observational games because that's the only way you know."

Tom nodded "Correct."

"Hard to believe that. I mean it is expected but still..."

"Reasonable."

You faintly smiled "Happy birthday, Tom." - you wanted to straight up blow up the cupcake but decided against it. It was still his birthday after all.

That night was probably one of the worst nights by far. While everyone else celebrated the New Year with fireworks and toasts, you were cuddling up your pillow in your room. You refused to go anywhere, regardless of the offers from your friends who also remained in Hogwarts for holidays.

The only New Year's kiss you got that night was the one in your dreams.