Part 24 The Griffin Incident | Edited

The following day and early in the afternoon, more than half of the students were eager to attend the study of magical creatures which was held by the Great Lake and nearby the forbidden forrest's first trees. It was good to have a few lessons in the fresh air. There were around 30 students standing before the teacher, eyeing him attentively.

But most of professor Silvanus Kettleburn's words only whistled over their heads once they noticed the incoming creature led to the spot by an assistant. The creature roared, springing upwards on its rear, shape of a lion legs, whisking into the air a pair of frontal claws - those of an eagle. It had a very sharp beak, but not as sharp as a needle of a brain it beheld behind its hawk eyes. Its glorious wings twitched as if unsettled and its long tail with a golden, furry end jerked behind it. This was a very vicious looking Griffin.

Professor Kettleburn calmed the Griffin down with solace and as he stroke its head, he smiled to himself at the sight of the bunch of students that were near him now standing afar, still watching this one animal.

"Now." - he clapped and rubbed his hands "Griffins are fierce, hot headed creatures. However, they will always provide loyalty to those they think are deserving."

From not too far away, you could see a half-giant student with bushy hair named Rubeus Hagrid. He was in his third year and would come along to take a look whenever he could at the presented magical creatures that peaked his interest. With permission from the professor of course. But Hagrid was told to keep a longer distance than older students. So he'd come with a cloth of some sort to sit on and scribble down notes - every word said by the professor, even if he wrote it down poorly and his letters were wobbly. Sometimes, he could only read his own notes which proved handy around cheaters in his year. Either way, Hagrid was very intrigued by this topic as he eagerly listened to the teacher's voice.

"This doesn't seem like an impressive creature" - James Potter crossed his arms, obviously unimpressed

Annoyed, Lily's face grimaced "Shush"

And he did.

The old professor smiled at James Potter "If it's unimpressive, Mr. Potter, why don't you be the first one to greet it?"

Suddenly, Potter's face stiffened and he felt his heart throb faster.

Seeing him almost paralyze, you looked at him "You can do this"

"Nobody spoke to you" - James scowled

Before you could defend yourself, you heard a voice coming from behind you "Watch it, Potter." - it was Tom Riddle, frowning as he had his arms crossed on his chest, maintaining tense eye contact with James. As if intimidated, James shut up and did not respond.

Tom didn't even bother to glance your way after he defended you. Instead, he diverted his gaze back at the creature. It felt a little flattering but you shook it off and concentrated back on the lesson.

Riddle not only looked intimidating to other people but also had some impressive grasp on his abilities which were beyond what normal magical children of the same age could do - he had an unusually high control over them. No wonder the teachers were so delighted to have him. Tom could move objects with his mind wherever he wished, he could manipulate animals and creatures and speak Parseltongue. Later on he learned how to use his own charm to his advantage. In your head you were thinking how far twisted was he by now? The lesson must be so easy for Tom.

James Potter slowly ambled towards the winged creature. Before stepping too close, the professor stopped him "You most show it respect first and then it'll respect you."

Everyone felt tense, locking their eyes upon James feeding the Griffin raw meat in an attempt to tame it and earn its trust. James's friends, out of all, strained the most, almost in sweat. The Griffin sniffed it and as it was about to eat it, the meat slipped out of James's hand. Scared that the Griffin would snatch his arm, Potter pedaled backwards before tripping and falling on his back, hitting the back of his head against the ground.

The Griffin, assuming it was a presentation of an insult, rose up on its rear two legs again and screeched loudly. Every student, except for Riddle or his group, gasped in shock and fear.

"Woah, Mr. Potter!" - Silvanus sprinted in between the creature and fallen James, trying to calm it down.

Everyone else were frozen still. To see someone's life fall quickly into danger was enough for the blood to turn cold.

However, Tom was staring blankly. He didn't even flinch. While Avery and Antonin looked highly amused as they laughed at collapsed James who looked as pale as a ghost.

James hated this ridicule and he quickly stood back on his feet behind the teacher as he frowned at the Griffin. Potter refused to back away and soon enough not even Silvanus - the professor of Magical Creatures - could stop it. The Griffin went wild, rushing off to the side then dashing back towards the scared flock of students.

It faced your direction as it bolted your way and the group of students behind you scattered, screaming as they ran for safety.

Your eyes were locked with the Griffin and whilst everyone else succeeded to flee, you felt your feet stuck to the ground and your brain stuttering thoughts and plans. It's like you wanted to run but some shuddering force kept you in place against your will.

But when your brain would pass on sensible decisions, the creature had already arrived with a gush of wind, standing before you on its two hind legs, its wings extended wide and flapping, it swished its claws before your eyes, bellowing belligerently as your heart raced heavily

The only thing that could escape you was a gulp.

You covered your face at the sight of a claw hurrying into the air, about to dash down with great force

"No!" - Professor Kettleburn yelped, fearing it might be already too late.

Other voices appeared distant, overshadowed by your galloping heartbeat. And when the voice of the Griffin peaked the highest, it suddenly went silent. You could no longer feel the Griffin's furious presence. Nothing.

You opened your eyes to see Tom Riddle in front of you, stretching out his arms towards the Griffin, calming down the creature, which was oddly working,

Right. Of course. Tom could control and manipulate animals. But thankfully, he couldn't speak to them - only to snakes. Otherwise a lot more chaos would ensue eventually.

The beast had lowered its wings and claw, no longer making hostile sounds. All that Tom Riddle did was stretch his hands towards it and keep eye contact as if he was dominating over it. Every student watched this in awe, including you. Tom Riddle just saved your life.