Part 62 Punishment

Slightly worried over the possibility of your treason to your promise, and due to the possible guilt he felt for playing with you again, Tom has decided to take you under his wing for the day.

Late at night, when the rain outside was heavy and the wind calmly oscillated, you fell asleep face down on an office desk in the corner of the room.

His bright eyes, flashing bits of red, calmly watched you rest. Silently, he sat on top of the desk, his waist right next to your resting head, as he gently stroked your hair away from your face, revealing your peaceful features.

He was puzzling himself at what this moment meant to him.

Continue-sly stroking your hair with ease and care, aware you are unconscious, with a soothing voice Tom whispered "Such a foolish one you are" - he paused, taking a short breath "Death itself follows me. And yet you are here" - carefully, he removed his arm from your head as he looked at your sleepy, closed eyes "Still."

Understanding his own weakness was really you, he feared it would get in the way of his plans to form horcruxes and become the most powerful the world has ever seen when he was already so far gone. 

Deep inside his demise, he cared about one and only person. And he knew this. It would eventually be his destruction if he won't put a stop to it. Yet he didn't know how. For once, he didn't know something.

And he knew that keeping you close was not an option if your heart belonged with the order.

*******(The next Morning)*******

You woke up with a minor migraine from the hardness of the desk pushed onto your skin. You could hardly blink with the sun shining from the outside straight into your eyes, slightly blinding you. When you lifted your head up, you noticed you were alone in the room.

You groaned at the pain, slowly lifting yourself up from the table.
You walked down the chamber and exited the room, ambling down the stairs.

That's when you noticed that the house looked emptier than ever. It was clear that every death eater had abandoned the place.

Back at the ministry, Sirius Black, James Potter, Lily Evans and Mary MacDonald were quietly sat at a circular, old table that beheld glorious silver teapots on top of it.

Silence overshadowed the absent sips of tea.

"Are you sure?" - James adjusted his glasses, staring directly at Sirius

"Yes, I'm sure." - he nodded "It breaks my heart... dearly... but she must be removed from the order."

"Lies." - Lily interrupted Sirius "You're saying all this stuff about her because she broke off the engagement"

"I saw her leave." - Sirius clenched his fist "Then I followed her. She must-- IS the traitor."

"I do not believe it." - Lily frowned "She is my friend. Has been for years. Do you honestly believe it, Sirius?"

"I wouldn't if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes." - he diverted his glance to the table before gently sighing "Back at Hogwarts... she has been always fond of him. Why do you presume she made such an effort at becoming his so called friend?" - Sirius spat in anger "She's too naive to see she's being played by him."

"Are you sure it's not the jealousy speaking?" - James interrupted Sirius

"I'm certain, my friend."

"Well then." - James stood off his seat "It is settled then. (Y/n) is officially out of the order. And unfortunately in these circumstances..." - he looked at Lily "I'm sorry... but if the accusations are proven to be correct... there is a high chance of... Azkaban."

"But!" - As fast as lightning, Lily lifted herself up "You can't!"

"If she IS working with death eaters as Sirius says... I fear we have no choice." - his eyes narrowed as if declaring this in regret "Order comes first. End of." - he turned around and walked away from the table and out of the meeting room. Same with Sirius and Mary who had followed James. The only one who was standing still in disbelief was Lily. She did not believe her dear friend could do such a thing.

Hours later, when you only caught a glimpse of the ministry, you noticed Lily sprinting towards you.

"Lily!" - you waved, smiling at her

She grabbed your hands in fast pace, her voice trembled as she glanced around the area "You can not be here, you must leave, quick!"

"Wait, what? Why?"

"It's Sirius. He said he saw you march for the dark lord and James is now asking for your imprisonment." - she grabbed your shoulders, gently pushing you away from facing the front of the ministry "If he delivers proof.. then... You simply must leave, now!" - she forcefully pushed you "I will not lose a friend like you"

"I didn't think he could--- Lily... thank you."

She nodded, giving you a small, gentle smile "Whether it's true or not, remember it's important to do what makes you happy, not what you assume will satisfy others" - she slowly started shoving you towards the exit "Now until we meet again, I wish you best of luck."

You nodded at her as a sign of thank you before disappearing outside the sight of ministry.