Part 25 Halloween | Edited

Halloween. A holiday not only beloved by muggles, but also widely adored by the wizarding world. For this one night, when the sky is met by thicker clouds among sepia tone mist and the apricot light of the lowering sun, the eager folk are ready for celebration with their festive spirits.

The trees outside had shed their coats, leaving the withering grass below rich with orange and yellow leaf-strewn sheets. Black shoes of the wizarding students stomped them flat as a small group of five stood behind a decaying gate in Hogsmeade, gazing afar at the creeping in the darkness shrieking shack. They kneeled down, having heard stories that it was haunted, and in hushed voices, they'd tell each other scary stories - rumors of what dreadful things happened behind those boarded windows.

And the Hogwarts great hall was rustling with more ghosts than ever gliding across the tables. Wizards and witches could hear clanking of chains and cheering of the see-through bodies which danced to a melancholy sound of a choir, a song about the dead.

Lit pumpkins were scattered all around, either shimmering behind the chairs or floating high in the air, their creepy faces previously carved by those who wanted to take part

Lit pumpkins were scattered all around, either shimmering behind the chairs or floating high in the air, their creepy faces previously carved by those who wanted to take part. The ceiling was charmed - a midnight blue cracking with white, pulsing lightning. Some bats had taken space, flying or lying around the highest of the dark blue fog.

The house elves had prepared a festive dinner for this holiday and the tables beheld open jack-o-lanterns with confectionary inside. Large, black cauldrons filled with lollipops and sweets were dispersed to the eager faces of the children, and the caramel doused apples smelled fresh and sweet, luring in the eyes of the ones with a desire of a tongue-tingling delight. There were carrot cakes and goblets of pumpkin juice or even more candy wrapped in colorful wrappers.

Students were all feasting on the food and treats as with each bite their faces took attention to the dancing ghosts, moving to the sound of the uncanny choir voices, haunting and angelic.

Since you couldn't find Tom after the lesson of the magical creatures, you went to find him during Halloween, which was the next day. After you, Lily, Mary and Molly all feasted on the snacks and agreed to tell scary stories later as a fun way to spend this holiday.

As you left the great hall, you came across riddle in a dimly lit corridor where his footsteps were one of the few passing. Riddle was walking towards the library, clenching a hardcover, black book.

"Hey!" - Sprinting, you shouted from behind him, capturing his attention. He stopped and turned around. His expression didn't change when he saw you, he was the usual, blank self.

"Yes?" - He responded as you finally caught up. You both stood face to face in the middle of an echoing hall.

"I wanted to thank you for what you did yesterday. I tried to find you after but I couldn't."

"Don't." - he cut you off "I only felt obligated after that dog. And I've been busy."

"Well, still. I didn't save your life so...." - you were suddenly looking at him shyly. You thought of a way to say thank you and felt flustered slightly at the thought of it.

Tom noticed the odd behavior "Something the matter?" - he didn't look concerned though. Seemed like he was just trying to be nice.

Without overthinking, you quickly pulled his face closer to your lips and gave him a peck on his cheek. You looked straight into his stunned eyes and smiled "Thank you"

He didn't respond, clearly not expecting the sentimentality. He kept his mouth closed but his eyes wider open, standing there frozen.

You wanted to break this atmosphere, pointing at the book "So what's that?"

"Hm?" - he flinched, as if you just interrupted his thoughts. He glanced at the book you were pointing at then back at you "A personal journal."

"A diary?"

"A journal"

"Isn't that the same thing" - you teasingly smiled at him

"It is not--" - he looked at the ground and sighed "But fine. Have it your way."

"Oh, really?" - you were surprised at him letting you have a final say

"Not like I can be bothered to change your mind."

You smiled before changing the topic "Anyway, in a week my friend Mary is playing quidditch and we're all going to support her and watch the match, why don't you join us?"

He sneered "Quidditch? You mean the time wasting, useless activity for amateurs who adore thrilling broom sports?"

"Yes..."

"And your mudblood friend's going to be there?"

You nodded

"You see what I am getting at?" - Tom continued "Your time-wasting interests do not intrigue me."

"Alright, that's your choice." - you replied "Oh and there is one more thing"

"What is it"

"You mentioned to me about helping me with studies. You know, tutoring me? And I was wondering if that's still an option"

"It is."

"Should we settle on the date then?"

"Date?" - he repeated, his face still calm and blank. He was emphasizing the word teasingly on purpose.

"Date as in time, Tom."

"So you are resorting to needing me after all. What is the matter? Tutoring Sirius sucked the knowledge out of you?" - he smirked.

"Is that a yes?"

"You'd be sitting for hours with me." - he bluntly said, keeping his green eyes locked with yours as he smiled "You will hardly walk after." - he deviously grinned at your stunned gaze "I will help you as I mentioned. But only if it benefits me."

"No more roosters I hope" - you recalled the earlier demands he made you do

"No. This Wednesday there's an after school club. Me and my group are debating jinxes with professor Slughorn. I wish for you to attend."

You were bewildered "You want me to join your... scouts?"

"Are you daft? Of course not. You shall be there as a servant. Fetch the drinks or anything they may need. I'll provide you my services for your services. And I suggest you refrain from using muggle language."

"But that sounds so humiliating"

Tom smirked "Exactly. Show me my help means importance to you."

After pausing and inhaling, you've sighed, knowing you still needed to get close to him "Fine"

Tom looked suddenly staggered by your decision "Hm. I expected you to refuse. I would have done it either way since I've offered. But seeing as though you are so desperate for me, I will hold value to our equal deal."

You felt like you were out of words.

"It's an arrangement then." - he stretched out his hand to be polite. Mimicking his manner, you stretched out yours and you both shook hands "Have a fine holiday with your friends, <___>." - he said and left.

Congratulations. You just agreed to something stupid again.