Part 43 Valentine's Day

You and Tom were standing outside the classroom, making small chat as you awaited for the bell. You were surprised to see him actually give you another chance - and you wondered what actually made him change his mind about keeping his distance.
Your attention shifted towards an annoying couple who'd been sucking each other's faces for a while now.

"Ugh" - you frowned "Why can't they just do it in private? It makes me uncomfortable."

Tom flashed a mischievous smile "Shall we hex them?"

"Not now" - you whispered "Too many witnesses."

Everywhere you turned there were happy couples or even crushes with unnecessary fawning or flirting.
It was the day dedicated to love and this meant that Tom absolutely despised it.

From the corner of your eye you noticed a girl from slytherin approaching "Tom" - her high voice captured his attention "What are you doing today?" - your heart dropped. It was clear she was going to ask him out.

He glanced at her sly smile "Nothing of interest"

"That's perfect!" - she discreetly brushed her hand on his shoulder as she bat her eyelashes in seduction "Me and the girls are heading to get a few butterbeers and you are invited"

Tom frowned in confusion "To what occasion?"

She giggled, startling you and Riddle "It's the day of Saint Valentine, silly! One of the best holidays muggles came up with I gotta say"

He scowled, for a moment it seemed like he was about to straight up murder her just for mentioning it. However, he kept his calm composure "I apologize but I must refuse for I do not wish to celebrate such an atrocity."

"Oh" - she seemed a bit shocked and afraid to eleborate more after realizing potential in further rejection. It's like he completely wiped off her confidence. She did not get a response she expected. "Alright then. If you change your mind you know where to find me." - she flashed one last smile at him before leaving.

When you were finally left alone you cheekily grinned at Tom, trying to hide your envy "I bet the whole day is going to be like that to you, with infinite invites of celebration"

He rolled his eyes "It already has been. Now it makes sense as to why I've received so many."

"And no interest in any of them?"

"I thought you would of learnt something by now. Wasting my time on pathetic twits during a day I loathe the most - I must pass."

"Just a second" - you wondered "You don't consider me a twit, do you?"

"Sometimes. Twits like those are useful when are easy to push into doing my bidding"

"Are you saying those girls want to serve you?"

"With ease." - he flashed a very confident smile "I can be very persuasive"

"Hm. I'm not entirely convinced"

"I do not have to convince you. You're already shadowing me."

You yelped "I'm not... shadowing you."

"Please. We both acknowledge the strong nature in you to follow orders."

"Would you rather I stay away from you?"

But before Tom was able to respond, the dialogue was interrupted by Sirius, who sprinted towards you, lifted you in his arms and as he spun you around he shouted out loud "<Y/N>, WILL YOU BE MY VALENTINE?!!" - Everyone in the hall glanced at you two with either smiles on their faces or deep confusion. Tom was standing still, observing the action, instantly becoming very annoyed by Sirius's presence.

As soon as he gently let you down, still in shock, you adjusted your hair "Sirius, what are you---"

Sirius kneeled down on one knee, grabbed your hand with one and took out an enchanted, red glowing envelope out of his pocket with the other. It had the words 'will you be mine' engraved on it.

Behind him, Peter Pettigrew was smirking as he softly played a romantic tune on his banjo.

Not knowing as to what the heck was going on, you glanced at bystanding Potter who was cringing "I apologize about my friend here. He seemed to have taken an adrenaline potion that wiped out his fear. Fortunately, it's temporary." - James folded his arms "He's been wanting to ask you for months."

You felt pity for him, it was too hard to refuse. Especially after the stunt he just pulled.

"Uhm -- I--" - you stuttered "I..." - you stretched out your hand awkwardly, helping him stand up from the floor. "I-I will...?"

He flashed the brightest, most wonderous and genuine smile you've ever seen. He jumped and hugged you tightly.

Once he let go you glanced back at irritated Riddle who looked like he was going to murder the boy.

"Why, you're so silly, <y/n>" - Tom stated, flashing the fakest smile he could, hooking your arm around his elbow "You cannot accept another when you already have one." - he pulled your arm closer to him then leaned in to whisper to your ear "You need me, remember?"

As you tried to respond, Tom squeezed your forearm as a signal to keep you silent.

Sirius looked crushed and this crushed you too. Tom was the only one satisfied and proud with himself.

Sirius glanced down at the enchanted envelope and ripped it in half. With sincere disappointment in his eyes, he didn't say anything, just walked away with James and Peter - both of whom shot you aggressive glares as they were leaving.

When you and Riddle were alone again, you pulled away from Toms' grasp "How could you do that to him?"

"Easy." - Riddle grinned "I do not care about him. If I can make him hurt in any way I'll take it."

"And I reckon whether it hurts me too it doesn't matter?"

"Of course it does."

His actions and words felt so conflicting. It was delightful to hear him say something positive for once "So you hate the day huh..."

"Yes. But I do keep to my word." - he pulled out his wand, ripped out a blank page out of his notebook and with gentle movement of the hand, using transfiguration charms turned it into a small card with a 3D heart that stated 'Be mine'. He then ripped off a few twigs off the nearest plant in the hall and immediately after a few incantations and wand gestures, the twigs began to branch out and turn into a bouquet of beautiful, wonderful-smelling flowers. As he stretched out those two gifts to you he added "I have seen somebody do it a couple hours ago."

With doubt, you accepted the gifts in silence. He noticed you look absolutely dismayed and still upset over Sirius. He pulled you in for an embrace before stepping back and giving you a soft peck on your forehead. Tom lifted up your chin and his beautiful eyes pierced into yours as he added "Know your place."