~eighteen~

Davina enters the compound to see a large puddle of blood sitting right in the middle of it. She frowns and glances over at Elijah, who notices it as well.

"This is new," she remarks. Elijah sighs and follows the bloody footsteps, leaving Davina to her thoughts.

She couldn't stop thinking about the guy she had met the previous day. There was something familiar about him. She also noticed how he kept staring at her like she was going to disappear. That made her even more curious. Maybe even suspicious.

Deciding that she had nothing better to do with her time, Davina sighs and goes to visit Anastasia in her attic. Hopefully, Mikael wouldn't try to impale her with the white oak stake this time.

———————————————————————————————————

When Davina arrives, she tentatively opens the door leading into the attic. She knew the spell that Anastasia used to lock it, so she could get in and out anytime she pleased. Thankfully, no stakes were thrown her way, so she enters and sees Anastasia reading through Esther's grimoire.

"How frustrating. A novice trying to interpret the work of a master," Mikael criticizes, making Anastasia roll her eyes.

"It's a simple de-linking spell," she defends.

"Honey, what you're trying to do is the definition of complicated," Davina snorts. "Trying to erase Klaus' link with every vampire he ever sired?"

"You could always help me," Anastasia frowns.

"And push you another step towards your demise? No, thank you. When Klaus finds out that you're hiding Mikael, and he will, he's gonna hate you. Hell, he's gonna hate me for not telling him any of this," Davina groans.

"But you're not going to, are you?"

Davina remains silent for a moment, which worries Anastasia, but then she shakes her head. "I won't tell as long as you keep Mikael under control. I don't want him hurting people I care about."

"Look at you, Davina," Mikael scoffs. "You never change, do you? Always defending the bastard, claiming you care about him. You're weak and utterly pathetic."

"Says the man whose only goal in life is to murder his son," Davina deadpans.

"He is not my son! Everyone needs to get that through their thick skulls," Mikael growls.

Anastasia's phone suddenly beeps with a text message. She smiles when she reads it and stands up. "I'm gonna go out. Davina, would you mind watching Mikael while I'm gone?"

"Oh, I've been downgraded to a babysitter. I see," she sighs. "Fine. We'll play Go Fish or something."

"Cool," Anastasia nods before exiting the attic. Davina kicks her feet up on the table and begins paging through Esther's grimoire.

"Mikael, have you got any idea how to bring someone back from the dead?" He just laughs at the question before returning to complete silence. "Gee, thanks." She continues to look through the grimoire when Mikael shifts in his seat. Davina looks at him with a raised eyebrow. "Got ants in your pants?"

"Someone is out there."

"And? What, are you scared and you want me to see who it is?" When Mikael does nothing but smirk, Davina rolls her eyes. "Grow some balls. I'm gonna go check anyways." She stands up and opens the door, making sure to lock it behind her. Suddenly, someone comes up from behind and taps her on the shoulder, making Davina shriek.

"Woah, woah, it's just me," she hears Kaleb say.

"What the hell, Kaleb?! You scared me half to death," Davina exclaims. "I get easily paranoid, you know."