~fifty-seven~

Freya and Davina were preparing for a spell when Klaus marches in. "Rebekah had just landed. I assured her that we were moments away from returning our brother back to life. Don't make me a liar."

"Klaus, we can't resurrect Elijah until we're certain his mind is whole," Freya informs him.

"Well, you saved Finn with that very trinket. What's the problem?"

"When the pendant shattered, so did Elijah's mind," Davina explains. "He most likely retreated to the deepest crevices of his consciousness."

Hayley looks between the witches curiously. "How do we find that?"

"I don't know. It could be anywhere in over a thousand years of memories, but if we try fixing the pendant before finding him and healing his mind; he'll be permanently fractured, like casting a broken bone before it's been properly set."

"Spare me the medical analogies and fix him."

"I need to go inside and find him," Freya sighs. "Once I'm sure his mind is stable, then we can fix the pendant."

"Well, then stop talking and get in there."

"Klaus, we get it," Davina states. "You can leave now." Klaus leaves the room, so Hayley approaches them both.

"Please tell me that you guys can do this."

"He's family. We won't stop until he's safe," Freya assures her.

———————————————————————————————————

"You think you can pull this off?"

"I don't know," Freya sighs. "I've never done this before." Davina furrows her eyebrows and glances over.

"So, out of a thousand years worth of memories, how are you going to know which is the right one?"

"He'll recognize me. If I can find the core of his being or whatever memory he's clinging to, I'll pull him out." Freya lies down in the salt circle and begins chanting the spell while Hayley and Davina watch.

———————————————————————————————————

Freya gasps awake, causing the two girls to look at her in confusion. "Freya, what happened?"

"I thought I found him, but he just vanished right in front of me. That's not our only problem. I can't search Elijah's mind and sustain a spell at the same time."

"What if you were to send me in?"

"Then I would need more power."

"You stay here and anchor the spell. He'll respond to me. Send me in, Freya, I can find him. Nobody's closer to Elijah than I am," Hayley pleads.

"To place you into the pendant, I would need to channel another witch born of my family's bloodline," Freya explains.

"Hope? No, she's too young for this."

"She's young, but she's strong. Stronger than I was at her age. Hayley, I would never hurt my niece, ever."

"Hope will be safe with us," Davina assures her.

———————————————————————————————————

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to," Hayley tells Hope.

"It's okay. I'm not afraid." She nods and removes Hope's bracelet.

"Ready?"

"So he's just in there somewhere, clinging to broken memories," Hayley questions.