~thirty-six~

Davina was with Anastasia while she was being fussed over by several witches in the tomb. They were doing her hair and preparing her for the event, though Davina had no clue what it was. She notices all of the dirty looks being shot her way and rolls her eyes.

"Ana, am I to just watch you get all fancied up, or did you call me for an actual purpose?"

Anastasia bites her lip and holds up two different colored ribbon chokers. "I have to pick one. Orange or purple?"

"Wait, you seriously want me to play fashion police? In all honesty, the chokers are horrid," Davina deadpans. When the witches who were dressing Anastasia up glance at her, she scowls at them. "Yes, you have very, very bad taste."

Anastasia sighs and throws both chokers on the ground. "You're right, I hate chokers. Listen, I...I mainly called you for support. This is my first Cadeau as Regent. Since I represent the city, the covens have to pay tribute to me, and I throw them a party. I need them to respect me, but this is the first public event since..."

"Since you had Hayley kill those witches in the 9th Ward? Yeah, I remember."

"I have a feeling it might not go so well, especially since Van Nguyen blames me for what happened to his mom. He vowed to get back at me. Actually, he said he would erase me. I mean, who even talks like that?"

"I mean, it kind of is your fault that his mom died..." When Davina sees the upset look on Anastasia's face, she changes her train of thought. "Sorry. Yeah, I'll be here for you."

"Okay, thank you. Hayley and Jackson are here as well, patrolling the area, just in case..."

"Right, because if you die, then they all turn back into wolves," Davina mumbles.

———————————————————————————————————

Davina watches the witches of all covens gathered in front of the Lycée, each with an animal to offer Anastasia, who looks both uncomfortable and nervous on top of the altar.

"Another goat," she mumbles, trying to look pleased but seems to be failing. "How lovely." Anastasia turns to address the rest of the witches, joined by Hayley, who's giving her a sympathetic smile. "I'd like to thank the Gentilly Coven for their generous gift on this day of Fête de Cadeau." Davina notices that Anastasia looks to be overwhelmed by all of the animals and blinks rapidly. "I apologize. I need a minute." She quickly walks off the altar, so Davina trails after her.

"Not a fan of goats, huh," Davina murmurs with a crooked smile.

"I love goats. But, do you know how many of them I've had to sacrifice? Just once, I'd like to get a gift card. I mean, I know this is all tradition, but it's just not me. I'm glad you talked me out of wearing a choker scarf, though. I thought that if I were to wear one like Josephine did, they'd respect me more."

Davina glances at her beer before handing it to Anastasia. "Here. You need this more than I do." Anastasia takes a big gulp from the bottle, though she grimaces, making Davina chuckle. "Listen, Ana, I don't know if you realize this, but the whole Regent business is making you act like someone you're not. People won't respect you until you show them who you really are, and not some fake, old lady who wears choker scarves. You'll only receive goats if you do."

Anastasia gives Davina a grateful smile and takes another sip of the beer.

———————————————————————————————————

Davina and Anastasia were chatting with smiles on their faces in the tomb, each sipping from a beer bottle. Suddenly, Hayley and Jackson pull Van inside, but he manages to escape from their grip.