I think I don't want it to be "just a dance"

"What? No! No no no no no."

"Okay then, let's go."

"Where?"

"To have a slow dance. Weren't you listening to me?"

Was he serious? I couldn't believe he just said that.

"You know what? I think YOU are the one who wasn't listening to me. I'm not dancing with you Damon."

"Why not? Do you have to be such a... I don't even have a word for your behaviour. It's just a dance. Why won't you do that for me?"

"And why do you want to dance with me?"

"You really wanna know what?"

"Kind of. Coz' you know you can ask any other girl and she'll dance with you. Why me? I don't want to dance with you."

"I think you just said yourself the reason why I want to dance with you. The reason is that you don't want to dance with me. And that's a great challenge for me and I love challenges. Besides, you won't answer my question and you won't even do what I wanted you to in return. So, what should I get in return for finding your ring and safely returning it to you?"

"Why would I answer that question? And why would I dance with you?"

"You know what? Forget it. Take your ring and I'm outta here. Sometimes it's just impossible to talk to you. You're so difficult."

He handed me the ring and he left me there alone. I felt bad about, but I had my reasons for not dancing with him. Ugh who am I kidding? I kinda feel bad for arguing with him that way and for arguing with him in general. I don't know how it happens, I don't like to argue with people, but when I'm with him, I just can't help myself I just have to argue till the end.

I went back to the cafeteria where the party was and there I found Meggy. When she saw me she immediately ran towards me.

"Are you okay? Did he say anything bad to you?"

"No, nothing. He wanted to give me my ring back."

"He could've just given it to you when we were by your side. Did he have to take you somewhere private for that?"

"He asked something in return." I said looking away.

"What did he ask you?"

"He asked me to dance with him."

"And that's it? Honestly, I didn't think that Damon would do that. You know he's popular not for being sweet, but for being a player and for him to ask that kind of a favor is something sweet. Don't you think?" She said looking me into the eyes to find agreement.

"I don't know. I don't know. I'm just gonna go and sit down for a while, if you don't mind. It's just that I feel bad without even knowing why."

"I think you know why." She whispered under her breath.

"What did you say?"

"Oh you heard what I just said. Okay, call me if you need me," and she went to the dancefloor to dance.

I sat on one of the chairs thinking about my thoughts. That sounds so philosophical and yet so true. I looked at Damon who was sitting with his friends and drinking and it felt like he was having fun. Gradually my feeling of guilt was disappearing as I saw him having a good time. But then my consciousness hit me hard on the head when he looked at me. When he looked at me before I noticed a smirk or something sarcastic, I don't know. But now he looked at me, we made an eye contact for two seconds straight and then he turned away his gaze, which was filled with something like sadness?