Step Up The Game

The Headcanon: When it's a nice day, he'll sometimes take you out to play tennis together.

"I'm kinda surprised!"

"And why's that?"

"I never thought you'd ask me to play tennis with you!"

So yeah, it was such a nice day today that L had decided to take you out to play tennis together.

"You may be skilled in your line of work (Y/N), but I also want to test your practical skills and how fast you can react in this game of tennis", L says, giving you a small smirk.

"Oh okay then", you say surprised at first, before smirking back. "Then I won't back down!"

"Good. Give me all you've got. Also, I won't go easy on you just because you're a girl either (Y/N)", L says before grabbing his tennis racquet and ball and heading over to the other side of the court.

"Single set. First one to six?"

"Sure", you agree.

L hit the ball off the ground a couple of times.

'I can't let myself get too careless', you thought. 'Sure, it may just be a game of tennis but this is also so a test so I'll have to step up my game to prove to L that I am worthy of being in the taskforce!'

L threw the ball in the air and hit it with a lot of power, making you react quickly by diving to return it.

You manage to return it, causing L to get a little surprised.

'I never thought she'd return that. It's hard to return my power serve. Impressive stuff (Y/N)'.

Your return was weak though, so that caused L to hit the ball back to you with more power and you missed.

"There was no way I could've returned that", you pant.

"He who serves first always wins (Y/N)", L said with a smirk.

"We'll see about that!" You reply, smirking back.

You kept playing until it your turn to serve. You threw the ball up in the air and hit it as hard as you could.

You were quite surprised to see that L couldn't return it. He missed.

He gave you another smirk.

"I'm not letting you win!" You say.

The game continued for quite some time until the two of you got tired and weak.

'We're almost at the end! Come on (Y/N)! Keep pushing!'

'It's almost over and we are tied. It's only a matter of time'.

You hit the ball again and L returned it, making you practically leap to try and return it again.

'In life, you have to make sure you are prepared for everything that comes your way. And sometimes you have to fight against those things to get to where you want to be', L thought as soon as he hits the ball again.

There was so much power in the hit that it went too fast for you to return it and you missed.

"Game and set. Won by me", L said, catching his breath.

'Dammit! I lost!' You sit down on a bench and try and catch your breath.

"Good game", L said, walking over to you.

"I can't believe I lost. I really need to step up my game", you say to him as he reaches you.

"You did well (Y/N). I can tell that you are worthy of being in the taskforce", L smiled at you and held out his hand which you shook.

"You think so? Thanks. It's been a while since I had to play like that. You're very good yourself".

"Well, I once was the British Junior Champion in tennis".

"That makes sense".

"That was a very interesting game though. I'd like to play again with you another time", L says.

"Sure. But I won't let you win!" You giggle.

"We'll need to see about that", L laughed. "Now come on. Let's go somewhere for a drink".

(A/N): Gif time!

Tried to find one where L was actually playing tennis but, for some reason, I couldn't find any gifs.