|74| killshot

4 CHAPTERS TO GO!!!
Expect craziness!

"You're insane. You want me to marry you based off a game? I barely even know how to play pool."

"Welp, it was my only offer." He shrugs and turns around. "Take her back to her room."

"Wait—" I reach out. The guards' pause as they were about to grab me.

If there's even the slightest possibility of getting out of here and I don't take it, I know I'll never forgive myself. I mean, I may never get this chance again...

But marriage? Does this man even understand the meaning? Marriage is being faithful to one person, something he is clearly incapable of doing.

".....F-fine. I'll play."

Jaebum turns and gladly pulls me to the pool table at the front of the lounge between the stage and booths. Classy women sitting close by eye me up and down at the unnaturalness of a woman playing with the men, while the men watch intensely behind their cigarettes.

Jaebum sheds his jacket for it to be swept away by a guard and unbuttons his collar heavily, pants hugging his waist well. Although he is a man of pure evil, his body is undeniably perfect. My shameless stare doesn't go unnoticed before he smirks deviously and says, "Don't be scared baby girl, lose and this'll all be yours..."

"—But I'll go easy on you." He adds and grabs one of the wooden cue sticks, "So try not to screw up."

I gulp with clammy hands as Jaebum chalks the tip of his stick. Cluelessly, I take a stick of my own and copy him. I had played pool maybe once or twice with my dad as a child but that's hardly helpful.

"Rules are simple. There are 15 numbered balls that will be restocked throughout the game. You score a ball, you get a point. You are to only use the cue ball, this white one, to knock the others in. The maximum time for making a move is 60 seconds, but tonight, we're cutting it down to 30. Makes things interesting." He shrugs, lips curling to his ears.

"And the penalties?" I ask flatlined.

"Anytime you don't score a ball is minus 2 points. Minus 15 and you lose. Knocking the white ball into any of the pockets is also an automatic loss. And finally, you must seal the game by scoring the black 8-ball."

Carmine taps the base of his stick against the floor to dust off the excess chalk. "Aish, let's begin already. Who's starting?"

"I'll go." Jaebum removes the triangular frame grouping the balls, then places the cue ball behind the line and lowers his body to position his stick. The lighting dims to cast shadows over him, the crinkles of his shirt and veiny hands now standing out. The rest of the club around us darkens into abyss and all focus domes around the velvet table.

"Watch and learn."

His left arm smoothly draws back the peg, eyes narrowing so sharply they could cut.

The loud smack of colliding spheres snap me out of my thoughts when he finally thrusts the stick forward and the balls scatter, four of which landing in netted pockets.

I start to feel uneasy at the sight of his satisfied look. I can already tell these guys are pros.

Carmine allows his guard to plant a cigar between his teeth where his lips meet the sandy paper and he puffs a cloud. The fumes pollute my lungs as he takes his shot and scores three balls. Now for my turn...

I crease over the wooden bed with my chest grazing the velvet line. I can already feel a dozen stares on me as I mimic Jaebum's actions. He kept his posture low and still. He found his direction after tilting and waited before shooting...