Pain of the past

A/n: since L doesn't have a canon reason as to why he was abandoned, WE'RE MAKING ONE UP. PREPARE FOR ANGST

Head canon: while L has incredibly strong emotional strength, some days it all gets too much.

Today felt different.

The air seemed still, everything seemed cold and gloomy, a darkness hung in the air and... L was nowhere to be found.

At first you just through he was out getting more candy or tracking Light, but he'd been gone all day and it was getting dark now. You asked Watari but even he didn't know where L was. You were worried but thought maybe he had some worlds greatest detective stuff to do or something.

"Right, I'm going home tonight, I gotta look after my sisters cat while she's out" you said, grabbing your bag.

"Ok, we'll see you tomorrow then" Matsuda replied.

"Bye"

You got a few goodbyes in response and left taskforce, getting in your car and picking up the cat before heading home. You weren't really that hungry, you did eat three bowls of cocoa pops for lunch anyway, so you could go without dinner today. It was just such an odd feeling day, something was so wrong about this day in particular.

You fed the cat, and took a shower, putting on your pyjamas and deciding to watch TV for the night.

No matter what show you tied to watch you just couldn't focus. Something was wrong, but you didn't know what. You sighed, turning off the TV and getting up.

"Hey kitty" you said, the cat looking up at you.

"I'm going for a walk, don't break anything"

The cat just rolled back over and went back to sleep.

"Wish I could fall asleep that easily..."

You put in some slippers and locked up the house, it was dark but not that late, plus, you knew your neighbourhood like the back of your hand, nothing would hurt you. You lived by a man made canal, it was just across a park, all the rich people lived on the waterfront and had their own boats. There was a long public jetty, a pathway like one that acted as a sidewalk for the water, you liked to walk along there.

"Something isn't right..." you mumbled to yourself, letting the wind blow your hair about.

No... something definitely wasn't right at all... everything felt... off. Everything felt out of whack and all sad, maybe the fact L wasn't at work explained why the times felt all weird, usually he'd be there to boss everyone around. But you didn't really know why it was so gloomy today, it's not winter, it hadn't been raining, it was just darker today for some reason. In both lighting and mood.

As you walked along the jetty, having a dog bark at you every so often or a duck fly over your head, your phone rang.

You looked at the ID to see it was Watari, maybe you had to go back to HQ for something.

"Hello?" You said upon answering.

"Miss (y/n), sorry to disturb you and your cat sitting, but I have a request to make" he said.

"It's fine, so I have to come back to HQ?"

"No, actually is about L"

Your attention peaked, you'd been worried about L all day.

"You see he hasn't been answering his phone all day, but according to our trackers he's near your place, at a park on the corner of your street"