An exotic pet

A/n: I bit on the shorter side but I found it funny.

Hc: sometimes the urge of a cute animal is just too strong. Even for the worlds greatest detective.

You see the thing about L is that he has connections to everyone am everything. He can get almost anything legally and safely, that's just was his job let's you do. Although sometimes that makes him a pit impulsive.

"Hey... (y/n)" he said.

"Yeah?" You replied, not looking away from your screen.

"You know how you've always wanted a pet, and I kept on switching between decisions?"

"I'm going to turn around and see a cat aren't I?"

"Well... not exactly"

What did he buy? What animal were you inviting into your home, possibly HQ. You spun your chair around and almost had a heart attack when you saw what was in his arms.

A fucking Fox.

"Is... is that a fox?" You stammered.

"Yeah... he was too cute..." L replied.

"Wha- how did you even get a license? I didn't think you could have domestic foxes here? Do you even know how to care for a fox?"

"Yes I do actually, I had to go through tons of paperwork and tons of lectures from the sanctuary owner to get him"

Well... he was pretty cute. And he seemed pretty calm in L's arms, over the years there's been a breeding program that domesticated foxes and they've gotten pretty dog like actually, definitely less trusting but they're getting more comfortable with humans. You struggled to find the words for a moment, your boyfriend just bought home a fox without a telling you, how do you react to that?

"Well... what's his name?" You sighed.

There was no getting out of this one.

"Mochi..." L replied.

That's... actually a fitting name for a fox, it suits the ball off fluff quite well surprisingly.

"You know, I'm going to let this slide because he looks very soft and squishy, but don't expect me to be the one taking him to special vets and cleaning his... wait... were are we going to keep him?" You said.

"Well you see here's the thing..."

"L-"

"I have a cage for him! And food bowls, but... I still need to work on a pen. He likes to make dens so..."

Jesus Christ when you started dating the worlds greatest detective, you thought crime and justice... not a fluffy tailed, pointy eared ball off fur. But... there more you looked at him... the more you started to fall under its spell. You let out a frustrated sigh.

"You make him an inescapable pen, I keep him entertained" you said.

"Deal, here"

"Wait I don't kn-"

Before you could even finish you had a fox in your arms, and L was off to figure out how to use hardware tools... and probably get the help of Watari. You just stood there and processed that for a moment as the new pet sniffed the air around you and looked up at you.

"Look, just because you're cute and fluffy doesn't mean you're getting away with misbehaviour" you said.

The fox just made a growling noise that sounded like a cat purring.

"Stop, I'm not falling for your spell"

But you did, hard. You'd thought putting him in a room where he can't tear up the couches to make dens would be best, so you moved all the chairs out of the kitchen so he couldn't jump on them and put him on the floor to smell the area.

"Good lord L what have you just gotten us into..? You're so lucky I love you... and that he's cute"

After a while of Mochi trotting around the kitchen, he sat down on the floor and decided to just chill for a little bit, probably happy to stretch out after being in a cage for a whole car ride. You sat a little way away from him and let him slowly creep up to you.

"For a species that isn't fully domesticated yet you're pretty well behaved I'll give you that" you told the fox, who was carefully sniffing your hands.

He sat down in front of you and looked up at you, expecting some kind of attention. You carefully put your hand against his head to pat him, and he seemed to like it judging from the happy fox noises he made.

"You know... maybe this isn't that bad..."

"And that's how we got a pet fox"

The taskforce just starred at you dumbfounded.

"So... L just decided 'hey I want a fox' and bought one home?" Misa said.

"Yep" L replied.

"And he's very well trained for an animal that isn't fully domesticated yet?" Matsuda added.

"As long as there's no birds around then yes" you replied.

Mochi sat on the sofa in between you, just living life and being a fox. The taskforce shifted their eyes to him, still shocked that you had a pet fox.

"And he's in taskforce because?" Light asked.

"He gets lonely" L replied.

It was silent for a moment, as the taskforce let what just happened sink in, until Matsuda spoke up again.

"Well... I gotta admit... Mochi is a good name for a fox..."