47- The Rebel Takes Over

╔═══════════════╗

THE first day of classes had begun the same as usual for Liana, other than her disappointment that in her Care of Magical Creatures lesson, Hagrid seemed to be missing and in his place was Professor Kettleburn, a dreadfully dull and boring teacher who followed the syllabus far too closely for Liana's liking.

Liana walked into Defence against the Dark arts and settled next to Hermione, throwing her books dramatically onto the desk as she watched Parvati blow a paper aeroplane across the room, the usual low level chatter buzzing around them. She stole a look at Harry who was glancing around, his eyes following the aeroplane with fascination.

However they all flinched as the aeroplane suddenly burst into flames and disintegrated before their eyes. Looking down from the ceiling Liana scowled at Professor Umbridge who was today dressed in a frilly blouse and skirt and looked identical to a lace curtain.

"Good morning children," smiled Umbridge sweetly as she pulled out her short wand and waved it in front of her, directly it at the board.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O -W-Ls, more commonly known as OWLs," Umbridge spoke in her usual high pitched squeak that made Liana grimace.

"Her voice is giving me whiplash," she muttered to Hermione who sniggered and rolled her eyes.

"Study hard and you will be rewarded, fail to do so and the consequences may be, severe," she told them. Liana glanced around, no one seemed particularly intimidated by this pink, frilly toad, in fact, Ron was laughing from behind his hand.

Professor Umbridge raised her wand once more and pointed it at the stacks of textbooks in the front desks which then began to disperse themselves.

"Your previous instructions in this class have been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know that from now on you'll be following a carefully planned, ministry approven course of defensive magic, " Professor Umbridge looked very self satisfied at this and she puffed out her chest with pride.

Liana frowned as she picked up the textbook in front of her and turned it over dubiously. Emblazoned on the front it read:

DEFENCE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS- BASICS FOR BEGINNERS

From beside her, Liana saw Hermione stretch her hand into the air, confusion evident on her face.

"Yes?" Professor Umbridge addressed Hermione.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione pointed out as she flipped through the book, her brow furrowed. Liana raised a eyebrow in surprise and began to leaf through the pages to discover Hermione was correct, once again.