89-Ginger Snaps

╔═══════════════╗

SLUGHORN'S New Years party sprung upon Liana sooner than she had hoped. She had barely just yanked herself out of her three day hangover from her last drinking spree with Ron and she wasn't sure she could face an evening full of festivities and Slughorn's overly pompous attitude. But even so, on New Years Eve Liana found herself sitting on Hermione's bed, dressed in what she thought resembled a ruffly curtain.

"I can't wear this! I look dreadful. What's wrong with all the outfits I have?" Whined Liana as she pulled at the bits of fabric adorning her body with distaste. Hermione snorted as she curled her own hair in the mirror.

"Liana the outfit you showed me wouldn't have even covered my left thigh- let alone your whole body. If you find something that isn't flashing everyone then of course you can wear it," shrugged Hermione with a snicker as she glanced at Liana's discarded first choice outfit with narrowed eyes.

Liana huffed and sprung to her feet, diving through her trunk in search of something mildly more appropriate. She beamed as she finally found what she had been looking for. A long, black and silky dress that fell to her ankles and hugged her body like a second skin. Both flattering and modest enough to get the Hermione seal of approval.

"So- you heartbroken that Cormac isn't your date this time?" Teased Liana as she wiggled into the tight dress and pulled her hair aside for Hermione to zip the back up for her.

"Well I'm lumbered with you instead so I'd say you and Cormac are kind of on the same level-" Hermione joked and Liana elbowed her with indignation.

"Don't even try and compare me to that troll. At least I stick to one position in quidditch instead of thinking I'm brilliant enough to play all of them simultaneously," Liana protested as she grabbed her wand and they linked arms, leaving the dorms and trailing through the common room.

"Harry must have already gone, he did mention Dumbledore wanted him to ask Slughorn about something so perhaps he's gone to do that now," Hermione acknowledged as she glanced around the empty common room. Liana just rolled her eyes at the mention of Harry's name and kept on walking, pulling Hermione along with her as she clambered out of the portrait hole.

Liana could hear Slughorn's party before she could see it. It sounded as if he'd hired some magical music band and the sound boomed out down the corridors and made Liana chuckle as she encouraged Hermione on.

"Come on, I want a dance from my date," Liana smiled as she towed Hermione into Slughorn's office.

The ambience in the room was electric. There were vibrantly flashing lights adorning the ceiling above them, soft velvet furnishings and curtains occupying the cold stone walls, waiters trailing around holding trays of food and in the centre of the room was a dance floor where many slightly too drunk teenagers were leaping about with cheers and laughs, some singing along loudly to where the Weird Sisters were playing.