58- The Haunting of Liana Holly

╔═══════════════╗

SEVEN year old Liana Holly was standing in the kitchen of her family cottage in Little Hangleton. The gentle tick of the clock in the hall told her it was just past midnight. Her ear was pressed to the living room door and she had clasped a hand over her mouth to stifle any sounds of her rough breathing.

From the other side of the door she could hear her mother's angry voice.

"Leonard, I have told you time and time again that if anything happens to my kids-"

"Aubrey, love, you know I never would have really told him- it was all a pretence!-" Leonard's panicked voice could also be heard from the living room on the other side of the door. 

Liana fiddled with her babbity rabbity pajamas uncomfortably, wishing she had stayed in bed with Grey like her mother had told her too. She knew Christina would be furious if she saw Liana had crept out of bed and disobeyed their mother which kept her rooted to the spot, unsure of what to do.

She had only wanted to say goodbye to her parents before they left on their important trip, but it seemed that she'd got her timings all wrong and was overhearing yet another of her parents arguments. Liana was about to creep back to bed and hope her mother never found out when something caught her attention.

"Aubrey- don't do this, you know who will be after Liana if you try to kill me-" Leonard hissed dangerously.

Liana froze on the spot, her ear glued to the door and her eyes wide. Why did her father think someone was after her? Why was he going to be killed? In her young mind it occurred to her that maybe someone was after her parents, she was well aware of the wizarding war and knew full well what had happened to her godparents merely years before.

Liana mustered her courage as she prepared to burst into the living room with all her might to protect her mother and father. But she was interrupted just as she reached for the door handle.

"Leonard this was always your problem. You never learned when to shut your mouth-" Aubrey sneered and then without warning there was a blinding gush of green light from under the door.

Even seven year old Liana knew something was wrong when there was a large thump. Almost like a body hitting the door and sliding down it dreadfully slowly.

Liana blinked confused and betrayed tears back from her wide blue eyes as she turned and tried to dash away.

If only she hadn't worn her duck slippers. Her slippers quacked loudly with every step she took away from that door.

The door swung open at once, revealing a murderous looking Aubrey and the collapsed form of Leonard on the carpet. Aubrey eyes darkened at the sight of her daughter.