69- Scarred Hands

╔═══════════════╗

GRYFFINDOR common room was packed with people as it always was after dinner time. Huddles of first years, nervously chewing on quills as they completed stacks of homework which towered taller than their heads, rowdy third years celebrating the end of the Christmas exams with butter beer and pumpkin juice, Fred and George gathering the usual crowd of admirers that they always seemed to attract, students avidly watching them perform demonstrations with puking pastels, reassured that Umbridge couldn't tell them off in their own common room.

However for once Liana didn't join in the row of people, she didn't go squash in next to Hermione for a hug or go sit on Harry's lap. Instead Liana carefully scanned the room, looking for one specific person.

She spotted Neville Longbottom in the corner of the common room, sitting alone next to the window with a pile of books beside him.

"Hi Nev."

Neville looked up in surprised and delight and without question immediately budged over so Liana could sit beside him.

"Magical plants of the Loch Ness and their properties," Liana peered at the book he was reading. "I like the sound of that one," she nodded in approval as she shifted through the rest of the books, reading each title.

Neville grinned. Despite the fact Liana did not excel in Herbology like Neville did, she did in Care of Magical Creatures and had a deep appreciation for the natural world around her.

"You can borrow this one after me, it was a Christmas gift from my Gran," Neville said as he closed the book he was holding and turned to face Liana better. Liana smiled and nodded eagerly. Then as she remembered why she had come over to speak to Neville her smile faltered slightly.

"Neville can I talk to you about something s bit more serious for a second. I know I'm not very good with feelings or words so the combination is a bit deadly, but I need to get this off my chest," Liana admitted as she filed her hands in her lap, looking down at them guiltily.

"You don't have to explain anything to me Liana," Neville sighed in a knowing tone and he gave her a gentle nudge to break the tension in her posture. Liana looked up, confused.

"I know things are complicated between you and Harry. I know I probably haven't helped the situation and I can't imagine Harry is super fond of me right now because of how close we are. I'll admit I do have feelings for you Liana-"

Liana opened her mouth widely as if she wanted to say something, but she just couldn't find the words. Neville paid no attention to this and continued speaking however.

"But, I know you don't feel the same way and that's genuinely okay. I'd much rather have you as a friend than guilt trip you into being dishonest about your feelings. You and Harry have always had a connection and I'd be an idiot not to recognise that," shrugged Neville. Liana paused for a moment before she threw her arms around Neville in the tightest hug she could muster.