Chapter 37

Hope you beautiful queens had a lovely day💕😙

Aurora's POV:

"W-What are you doing here?"

After I said that, I realized how rude it sounded. Liam is the whole reason why I'm in here in the first place. I could've escaped and had help if it weren't for him.

"Uhh, Elijah sent me to give you this. He said it's for Mr Black." He says handing me a paper bag which I take. This must be the medication for Tristan.

"Oh, t-thank you." I mutter and he nods. This is so awkward. Liam used to be my best friend. I used to tell him everything and he was always so kind to me. But now, I can see how this whole Mafia thing changed him.

He's a lot less spunkier, a lot more skinnier and unhealthy, and looks like he doesn't have a funny bone in his body. Basically, the  opposite of the Liam I knew.

"Um, would you like to come in? I made coffee." I suggest and he slightly shakes his head.

"I-I don't think that's a good idea." He sheepishly mutters, rubbing his neck nervously.

"Don't worry. I won't get you in trouble." I assure him. He hesitates and stares ahead in reflexion for a moment before bowing his head and taking a step in. I hold the door wide open and allow him to get inside.

I then close the door and he follows me into the kitchen. He sits down on the stool and awkwardly crosses his arms on the kitchen island.

I grab him a mug and serve him the coffee and continue to make breakfast.

"So, uh, I'm sorry about what happened these past few days." He awkwardly states and I nod smiling.

"It's okay." I reply.

"How's boss?" He asks, slightly lowering his voice.

"He's injured but he's doing okay." I inform him and he stares down.

There was an awkward silence between us where he sipped on his coffee and I carried on making my breakfast.

"Listen, Aurora. I'm sorry." He sighs and I turn to him. "If I hadn't taken you back here, your life would've been a lot different." He explains and bows his head apologetically.

"It's okay." I assure him. Even though he stopped me from escaping here, he's my friend. Or was my friend. And I don't want him feeling bad. What's done is done.

"I should be saying sorry to you. If it weren't for me, you'd still be chasing your dream as an engineer." I reminisce on the time he told me what he aspired to be. He nods in acceptance.

I was mad at Liam at first, but now, I feel sorry for him. Guilt is eating at my conscious and I just want to fix this for him.

"If you had the choice? Would you get out of here?" I nervously ask and he furrows his brows.

"Of where?"

"The Mafia. If you had a way out, would you?" I question and he swallows, his throat bobbing down and his face looking nervous.

"Of course. I'm miserable, Aurora. You have no idea what these people are capable of." He tells and my heart clenches. "But my life is Mr Black's now. My purpose is to serve and protect him till the day I die."

I was about to talk but his pager started buzzing.

"That's Elijah. I-I have to go."he says, looking alarmed as he rushes over to the door. But then he stops and turns to me. "It was really nice seeing you, Aurora." He mumbles and I smile. I hear his footsteps until he exits and closes the door.