Chapter 55

A few months later:

Tristan's POV:

It's been about three months since everything happened. Some things changed, some stayed the same.

Aurora's not doing any better. She refuses seeking treatment that I discussed with her countless times, she never wants to get out of bed. Some days, she'll feel like she doesn't want to be at home so I drive her to the orphanage. That's where she likes to go.

She hasn't spoken much to me either, it's killing me. It's hell. Not even a smile at my direction, or at anyone's direction for that matter. I tried to get through to her. I'm still trying but in vain.

I've never felt this way, helpless. Unable to do anything. She's dismissing me, avoiding me.  All she ever wanted was a family. I wanted to give her that but I couldn't. We were so close but it wasn't meant to be.

And due to not having her around to keep me grounded, due to her not being herself around me anymore, I resorted to what I do best.

Killing.

It started out as a distraction, a way to heal and to grieve. But then I couldn't stop. I started killing and killing at the slightest inconvenience. I've always been a short-tempered person but even I have to admit that I'm going overboard.

I needed something to fill the void in me. So I got back to killing as if it fixes anything. It doesn't but it satisfies me. It helps me to some extent.

I must've killed hundreds of people. I murdered every single person who was even slightly related to what happened. And not a gunshot to the head, or a slit of the throat kind of kill. No. That was too easy and undeserved.

I'm talking watching them burn alive, skinning them, crushing their skulls, dismembering them, castrating them...I did the unimaginable and felt nothing towards any person I killed.

I had a huge step back. I became the person I was before I had her. I played dirty and showed no remorse, done things I never thought I would do.

All because I didn't have her to keep me in line and sane. And because she's not doing any better no matter how hard I'm trying with her.

It's killing me that she's in this state. And I can't do anything about it. If I can take all her fucking pain, I would in a heartbeat. No hesitation, no questions asked. But the reality is that I can't, no matter how much I want to.

But that doesn't mean I'm giving up on her. Not a chance. It doesn't matter how many times she pushes me away, I'll only come back harder.

I need her. She has no idea how much but I do. And I miss her. I miss her touch, I miss her smile, I miss the feel of her. Just everything.

Everyone's tried to take her away from me but failed miserably. I intend to keep it that way. But right now, all I can do is be patient with her and help her get back to her old self, before anything happened.

Aurora's POV:

I roll around on the bed, feeling so uncomfortable and so awful. I can't imagine this being healthy for me. I don't do anything anymore. I just lay in bed all day.

I constantly feel alone. It's because I am. I don't have anyone anymore. Aside from Tristan.

God, he's being so nice to me. I don't think I deserve a man like him. No matter how hard I try to avoid him, he still looks after me.